Chapter 78

Jenna's eyes widened and her lips slightly fell apart in shock. "You — what!?"

      Startled at her sudden voice, Sirius abruptly jumped off the bed, turning around only to see Jenna standing there.

      "Jenna — I — you heard—" his voice trailed off as he stared at her in horror, her gaze falling to the floor in bewilderment.

      Deep down, Jenna always knew there was something between them, from the way Sirius acted and to what her mother had told her. But to hear Sirius say those words, her heart started to throb vulnerably.

     "Oh, Merlin... okay... okay... I've got this," Sirius muttered to himself, pacing nervously around the room as Jenna stood there frozen on the spot.

      "Alright..." He finally came to a stop by the window, turning to look at her. "I-I think we need to talk."

      "You think!?" said Jenna breathlessly.

      "Okay... just listen to me... I — I'm sorry you had to figure out this way — but now that you've heard — there's really no point denying it..."

       He then took a deep breath, before he finally said, "I love you, Jenna."

     "Sirius —"

"Look, I know I'm only seventeen — I mean, nearly... but so what?"

"But you —"

"I can't help it!" He sighed in frustration, running a hand through his silk hair before turning to face her again. "It hurts to love you... but I do. I still love you, and I don't think I can ever stop feeling that way about you."

Jenna remained silent, biting her lower lip and staring up at him as he went on,

"I — I've had a crush on you ever since we were eleven, and in second year when I asked to kiss you under that mistletoe in your house — I wasn't playing around. I really liked you."

"Then why didn't you just say so?" Jenna asked in a hollow voice.

"Because I wanted to talk to James about it first — I knew as he was a protective brother to you and my best friend, I had to talk to him about it — but before I could get the chance to do so, James hexed a third year boy just because he said you had nice hair. And I — I kinda freaked out. I felt like I would lose him as a friend if I told him I had feelings for his sister."

"Then... why now? After all these years..."

"I-I guess my feelings were never gone for you, no matter how much I tried to deny it," he said in a weak voice. "But I really don't know what happened last year... things started changing... my feelings for you started coming back, more than before... I still feel them all, each time I look at you."

     Jenna found the words losing their way down her throat, forgetting how to speak as she tried to breathe steadily.

"I don't know why I feel this way..." he continued and shook his head. "All I know is that I can't get you out of my head, I can't stop thinking about you, and when I see other guys looking at you the way only I want to — I just..." he grimaced, looking sharply away.

"To be honest, I never wanted those guys to look at me that way either." Jenna chuckled, shrugging as she walked closer to Sirius. "But somehow... it was different with you."

"D-different how?" he muttered, his lips slightly trembling as he looked down at her.

"Sirius, I mean this in the sweetest and most innocent way possible," she started with a grin, "but in case you haven't noticed, I'm very capable of beating a guy up if I wanted to. And that includes you."

"Er... thank you for not beating me up?"

"That's not what I'm trying to get at, you dense idiot." Jenna laughed, shaking her head at him.

"Now, now, Jenny," he said playfully, "don't be too harsh on me. I have feelings too."

"What I'm trying to say is that... all those times that you were near me... maybe the only reason I didn't push you away was that... deep down... I never really wanted you to stop."

By those mere words, Sirius's expression suddenly changed and a genuine smile crept through his face. "You — you mean it?"

Jenna nodded slowly. "Every word."

      They stared at each other for long moments, neither knowing what to say or do as an awkward silence filled the space between them.

But then, Sirius took out his wand from his pocket and pointed it up at the ceiling, above where they stood in front of the window.

      "I know it's not Christmas, but..." his voice faded away as he swished his wand softly and seconds later when Jenna looked up, she saw that he had conjured a mistletoe right above them, making her smile.

"I feel like our first kiss was rather awkward and quick, don't you think?" said Sirius, taking slow steps toward her.

Jenna only nodded, not knowing what else she was supposed to say as her feet carried her closer to him, right under the mistletoe.

Their faces were now only an inch away from each other. She could feel his hot breath against her and her heartbeat started to speed up as she looked down at his lips.

"Just say the word, Jenny," Sirius whispered, his eyes roaming her face and watching as her hair automatically turned pink, just like it had for their first kiss, when they were thirteen.

Jenna knew Sirius needed her to say that she wanted this too. But as she stared into his grey eyes, she only managed say four simple words.

"I love you too," she whispered.

The moment the words left her mouth, Sirius hesitantly raised his hand and slowly placed it on her rosy cheek. And with that, he leaned down, gently pressing his lips against hers and bringing her into a kiss.