59 - Harm, Part 4

"How is he?" Henry asked, bursting open the hospital room's double doors. His eyes went straight to the limp figure that lay in the bed, a sheen of sweat upon his skin from the exertion from running from one side of the enormous hospital complex to the other. The room was full to the brim, visitors and doctors alike. The bed was in full occupation as well, being inhabited by both patient and the patients' beau, who clung to him like he was the only thing tethering her to the material, mortal world.

"Father, there's no need to make such a fuss." Sebastian de Portiers-Valois-Anguleme rasped with a tired, easy grin on his parted lips. Henry made a beeline to his eldest son, crushing the younger man to his chest like his life depended upon it. Kenna winced, pulling away from the father and son duo. Things with her and Henry would always be uncomfortable, no matter the circumstance in which they met.

"Oh, God." Henry weeped, clenching his eyes shut as the rest of the visitors looked away in awkwardness of such a powerful, resplendent man appearing so weak at this current moment. "I thought I lost you, lost all of you." he breathed, running his fingers through Sebastian's shaggy mane of dark locks. He pulled away for a few moments, pressing a hard kiss onto his eldest's forehead.

"Father, stop." Sebastian gently chastised, wincing as his father gently lay him back against the bed. From his non injured side, Kenna curled up to his chest. Sebastian looked around from side to side, scanning his brothers and sisters, before looking up at Henry, a frown set on his lips.

"Where's Francis?" he wheezed, licking his lips. "I-I heard that Louis-" he trailed off. His eyes showed the anxiety that the lack of his favourite sibling.

"Don't worry, Bash. He's fine," Henry stated, holding his son's hand. "He's with Mary right now, they're checking on the baby."

"What happened to him?"

"Louis shot him." Henry stated, subconsciously tightening his other hand into a tight fist. If that bastard wasn't already dead, he soon would be. "It punctured one of his lungs."

"But he's-"

"Don't worry, he was asleep for a while, but now he's much better. He was worried about you, but he couldn't bare to leave Mary."

Bash nodded, understanding completley. He glanced at his beau, smiled at her, before looking at her stomach that was hidden by one of his old blue sweaters. Kenna tried her best to smile for him, she hadn't told him about the baby just yet. She couldn't, one minute he was at death's door, and the next minute the room was full of doctors and elated Princes and Princesses.

"Mary," he said, clearing his throat. "the last thing I remember, before blacking out, Louis-Louis still had the gun and he had her hair, was dragging her out of the venue. Is she-" he asked.

"Don't worry, she was hurt, but she lived. The baby's fine."

"What happened?"

"Louis got her in the neck, before the sniper got him. She was closer to death's door than you, but she lived, and so did you." Henry breathed a smile. He had been so scared of loosing them to death. But the King of France needn't be frightened anymore. All of them would be fine.

"How long was I-" Bash trailed.

"I told you, love. Almost two months." Kenna whispered.

"Then you're-" he glanced at her stomach again, his brow creasing in confusion.

"Uh-" Kenna stuttered. "May we have the room?" she asked.

~/~

"I can't believe it." Francis whispered, holding his wife's hand. Mary smiled gently at him, looking up from his other hand that lay upon her bump. She was close now, due next month. It was unfortunate that they would spend the rest of the pregnancy -and a while after it- in hospital, but now that she had been aware of life -or lack thereof- could have intaled, Mary was more than content to remain in medical care until her baby was out and healthy.