114 - War *Modern*

Francis awoke to a loud scream coming from his right. His eyes snapped open. He shot up in bed as the scream was accompanied of the melody of frantic cries of his wife. Frantically, he blinked the sleep out of his eyes, noticing how dark their bedroom was. He shook the disorientation from his mind, bringing his arms around Mary's small shoulders.

His wife jumped in surprise, although he couldn't figure out why. That was not of the matter, instead, he chose to coo into her ear and kiss her head. He rocked them both back and forth as Mary turned into his arms to cry and tremble. Francis could feel the heat from her tears slide against his neck and shoulder.

"Shh, I have you now." he whispered, kissing her head again. "It's alright."

They had been going through this same routine for four days now. After his wife had returned from deployment in her base, along with her seaking dog, each and every night, his wife woke up with night terrors of what she had seen and endured overseas. Not once had Mary told him even the slightest thing about what she went through those two and a half years of extremely limited contact. Francis didn't push, he knew how much having a supportive husband, not an inquisitive one, was needed right now.

"The-the-" Mary stuttered, grabbing his shoulder. "the bombs. All the bombs we found, and-and the ones we didn't. God, Francis, the-the little kids." she sniffled. "So many little kids." she sobbed. He shushed her again, running his hands up and down her back.

"I have you, now. It's over. You're with me." he whispers, kissing her head. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you." she sniffles, leaning her head against his shoulder. The bed rocked suddenly. Mary inhaled in surprise, looking over, seeing her beautiful German Sheppard she'd had since he was a tiny puppy. They'd been on three tours together, he had been trained as she was as a seaker dog, sniffing out the bombs before they could explode. He'd been with her every time Francis was not, weather that be in their control or not.

Archer crawled over to his master and mistress, falling down on top of their legs. He leaned his head against Mary's lap, a small noise falling from his body. Francis gently ran his fingers through the dog's fur. 

"He's been through a lot, too." he says, quietly. "Seen so much that I can't even comprehend." he finished. "Both of you have, and I'm so grateful you've come back to me in one pieces. Both of you." he says, stroking the dog's fur with one hand, wrapping Mary up in the other.

The bed rocked again. Sterling, the domesticated dog they had, plopped up next to them, laying down. Each and every time Mary and Archer were gone, it was Sterling and Francis who awaited them both. 

"He missed you both, too." Francis chuckled humorlessly, the large dog putting his head upon Archer's neck. Mary smiled at him gently, looking up at him. Her heart ached with regret as she realised, yet again, the amount of things her sense of duty to her Queen and Country cost them. And adjusting to home after deployment was always such a strain on all four of them. Hell, the first time, Archer and Mary had slept outside for two weeks, post traumatic stress disorder ravaging both of their minds.

"I love you, Francis." she whispers to him, suddenly.

"I love you, too, my love. More than anything."

~~

Based off my two favourite Modern war films, Max and Rex! Go watch them if you haven't!