let's have a baby

(Your POV)

Earlier this morning, I got the call that my best friend, Y/B/F, finally gave birth to her daughter. Waiting the few hours until I am allowed to visit has been torture, but the time is finally here and I couldn't be more excited.

I walk into the maternity ward of the hospital with a bouquet of flowers and a huge meal from Y/B/F's favorite take-out restaurant. Timothée, my husband, follows closely behind.

Arriving at the closed door to Y/B/F's room, I pause for a moment and turn to Timothée, a giant smile on my face.

"Ready to meet our goddaughter?" I ask excitedly.

"Never been more ready."

I give Timothée a quick peck on the cheek before turning back around. I open the door slowly and Timothée and I quietly enter the room, hesitant to be too loud in case the baby is sleeping.

But when I see Y/B/F sitting up in the hospital bed, her daughter drinking from a bottle in her arms, I can't help but squeal.

"You're a mom!" I say as I rush over the the side of the bed and give Y/B/F a half-hug. "Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. She's absolutely beautiful!"

"Thank you! She's a dream," Y/B/F says, looking down at her newborn daughter with pure love in her eyes.

Timothée appears beside me and leans in to give Y/B/F a quick peck on the cheek. "Congratulations, Y/B/F. Y/N is right, she's beautiful."

"Aw thank you Timothée. I'm so glad you two could be here."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world," I say. "Oh, and we come bearing gifts!" I say, holding out the flowers and food.

"Wow, that food smells amazing. I don't think I can stomach another hospital meal. And those flowers are beautiful, thank you so much."

"Of course! I made sure the restaurant gave you extra fries."

"Oh thank god. You're my hero. So, do you mind holding the baby while I eat?"

I look quickly between Y/B/F and Timothée, suddenly nervous. Y/B/F gives me a weird look.

"What's wrong?" she asks, eyeing me suspiciously.

"What if I drop her or something? Or what if she doesn't like me?"

"You won't drop her if you sit down in that chair. And I know that she'll like you. You talked to her while she was in my belly for months, there's no way she doesn't recognize your voice."

"I guess you're right," I say. "Okay, hand her over!"

Y/B/F giggles and slowly lifts the baby from her arms, carefully handing her to me. The baby fusses a little, but in just a few seconds she is settling into my arms and looking at me with wide eyes.

"Oh my god... I love her," I say quietly, unable to tear my eyes away from her soft, tiny features. I feel Timothée's hand gently rest on my shoulder. When I look up, he's watching me carefully, his eyes full of love and adoration. When our eyes meet, a small smile plays on his lips.

"Isn't she just the most adorable thing you've ever seen, Timmy?" I ask, turning my attention back to the bundle of joy.

"She is."

"So, did you finally decide on a name yet?" I ask Y/B/F, who is shoveling a handful of fries into her mouth.

"Oh! We did. I can't believe I forgot to tell you. Her name is... drum roll please... Evie!"

"Yay! You chose the name I recommended! It's beautiful, she looks like an Evie."

"Yeah, it was the only one Luke and I could agree on."