Chapter 12: A 15-Minute Walk of Nightlife

A/n: the more I write, the more I realize that my writing style is going on a tangent — it's so messy omg ksjfhshs im getting the urge to edit it but i knew that if i did that, I'll get sucked into editing instead. So I'll stay strong for you readers skjfhsbd

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

❝Respect, love, and friendship all mean the same. All you do is change the wording.❞

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

     "SHOULDN'T YOU TAKE A BREAK FIRST? Feeling fatigue during the Midnight Hour will affect you tomorrow as well."

Pharos glanced at you, as you sighed and let your wolf-mask evaporate into flecks of fire.

Hot sweat trailed down from your cheeks and onto your collarbone, groaning as your muscles ached in pain.

Rolling your eyes, you consciously gave in. "I guess I'll take a break and continue tomorrow then."

"It takes serious effort to continue training even after your Quirk Assessment Test," Pharos noted, although a hint of worry flashed in his blue eyes while he watched you wipe your forehead.

"Ah, yeah.. Truth is, I was getting scared. I got so drained after summoning HuangLong so I thought I needed to train more to get used to it." You fanned yourself, body heat seeping through you who stood still in the middle of the street.

Pharos sighed. "You and him are both alike in that terms."

You tilted your head. "Pardon? Who?"

"..do you want to hear a story?" He asked after a long silence, his voice impossibly soft. 

"If it's you who's telling it, then of course." Pharos kept his lips in a straight line. You were used to Pharos' looking eerie and dead-like, but at the moment, he looked sorrowful and ethereal. His black hair shone under the green moonlight, his eyes looked blurry as if he didn't want to remember something. He looked regretful. 

"Decades ago, humanity was once held in the hands of a group of people," he told you. "The Midnight Hour is still there, and these people fought and fought and fought.. up until the inevitable end. They could not escape it, but they still fought against it. It's the trait of all humans to never give up if they see at least 1% chance of winning." 

Pharos was frowning. There were no shadows lurking around, as a surge of energy swirled beneath his feet. The air felt thin. Sickening. And suffocating. 

"Gah!" Pharos bent down, holding his head in pain. In an instant,you came to his side and held him up in worry.

"Pharos! What's wrong?! Are you okay?!"

Pharos held your hand tightly, while his other held his head. "I-I'm sorry," he let out, shutting his eyes closed. "I tried remembering it.. it didn't want me to."