Chapter 13: Greyson

June 23

Loon Call Island, Lake Rosseau, Muskoka

My phone keeps buzzing, and I keep slapping it, trying to silence it. It's three o'clock in the morning, and I'd only fallen asleep an hour ago.

Rolling onto my side, swearing, I answer.

"What?" I practically bark into the phone, my voice rough from sleep.

My sister's voice greets me happily on the other end of the line. I groan, "It's three in the Goddamn morning."

"Sorry, baby bro, you never answer my calls during regular hours, so what's a sister to do?"

"Take a hint?" I snarl back at her.

Her laughter makes me smile reluctantly, though. "Don't be mean, Grey. I know you love me."

I push myself up into a sitting position, pulling my sheets back up from where I'd kicked them to the bottom of the bed and settle them over my hips. Even though she isn't here, it still feels weird to be naked and hear her voice. "What's up, Tess?"

"Nothing much, we just left Amsterdam with Genevieve and Mitch, it was absolutely amazing. We're all taking the train to Bruges and Lille. Then on to Rouen and Paris before heading south for the last two weeks."

"Sounds like you're having a great time, Tess." Part of me is a little jealous she's away, that she's free to do as she wants, no real responsibilities. At least not till she starts college out west in a month. I wonder what that kind of freedom feels like.

"I am, but I miss you and your stupid face like crazy. I hope you're not getting into trouble without me there." I can hear the pout in her voice.

I laugh, "Nothing major, I assure you. I wouldn't dream of having too much fun without you." I shift, shoving a pillow behind my back, so I can comfortably lean against the big wooden headboard.

"How are Mom and Dad?"

"Mom's okay, she seems a bit off but avoids all questions about it, going about business as usual. Dad's Dad."

"He still being hard on you like he was before I left?" Remembering last fall, the darkness that descended down on Mom and me after Tess left makes me angry. I get that she's his favourite, but I'd done everything I could to avoid being home, hell, I still do when he bothers to be here. I just can't deal with it, and Mom doesn't seem inclined to play referee between us.

"No, he mostly ignores me now, which suits me just fine, unless it's about hockey, then it's anyone's guess how he'll be. Look, I appreciate you checking in, but I don't want to talk about this shit in the middle of the night. Tell me about your stuff."

Tess doesn't question me, fully knowing my tone of voice means the discussion is closed. Her voice soothes me as she tells me stories of her adventures, the romance that's picked up once more between her and Brodie. I roll my eyes over that, remembering how temperamental she was last time they 'mutually' decided to call it quits. I thought she was going to slash his tires or something. But, it was mutual, they'd assured us.

I do talk to Tess about Liam, though, about Sam, how hard it is to see my friend in the hospital, fading. She'd gone in with Ry and me last September before she left for school to do blood work and tests to see if any of us could be a donor for Liam. Even though the answer was no, it's something I'll never forget.

I talk to her a little about Elle's steady presence and the comfort I'm starting to feel with her, keeping it light, vague, not sure I'm ready to tell Tess about us, not just yet.

"Speaking of our Ellie, tell me, baby bro, what's this I hear about the two of you? A little birdie told me you're sniffing around her again."

So much for that. But what does Tess mean by again? I've spent time with Elle nearly every day since the ski show. I know the little birdie is probably Hunter, who can't keep a secret to save his life, not that it's a secret.