Chapter 25: Elle

Content warning: Some mature content included below.

July 10

Loon Call Island, Lake Rosseau, Muskoka

Today was harder than I imagined, but so much more rewarding than I had ever hoped. Sam had been adamant about doing something special after Liam was so down over being stuck in the city. She'd roped my and my mum into helping her with the preparations.

Something I didn't quite understand was the absenteeism of her own parents. I'm not sure how to ask her about it, or even how to ask Greyson about it. Knowing my mum, if I was suffering like Sam, you can bet my mum would never leave my side. Say what you will about Mum's sometimes chilly demeanor, at the end of the day I know she would be there. It makes me so sad to think of Sam, alone through all of this.

Jacqueline's there, of course, but she has to think about Liam first, always.

I make a note to ask Mum if we can stop by the hospital again to visit when we go riding next Thursday. Since I won't go down to the barn this week. See if we can take Sam some fresh things and drop some more food for the whole gang. I know my mum will be happy to help. Maybe I can take Sam on a walk or back to my house for a couple hours.

Realistically, I already know she won't leave the hospital, maybe I can arrange something later when Greyson and Ryan are there too, perhaps she'll be more willing to take a break if they're there with Liam.

Sitting on the floor in front of my mirror, I brush my long hair out. It's crimpy and wavy from the braid I'd worn all day, and it feels good to let my hair down. I massage my scalp, relieved now that the tight braid has been released.

I look over the small bag I've packed for the road trip tomorrow. I'm trying not to overpack, but I can't help but feel I've forgotten something. A few days at a music festival, and Jules' cottage is just what we need, a change of scenery, a change of pace.

Standing, I walk back to the bathroom and rub the after sun cream all over my body. I keep burning, even though I use more sun lotion than anyone else I know. I should tell Dad to buy me some stock in a company that makes sun lotion, I'll single-handedly keep them in business for life, so I might as well benefit from it.

I brush my teeth and apply my face cream, lingering over it, massaging my temples to soothe the tension building there. I pack the toiletries and makeup I want for the trip and add them to my bag. Shutting the bathroom lights off, I wander to my bedroom, sliding between the cool sheets.

I check my phone, wondering whether I should try Vi. It would be almost four in the morning there since it's near to ten here. I just want to hear her voice though, I don't think she'll mind. I flip my phone open just as it rings. It's Greyson. I answer after the first ring.

"Hi, Greyson," I lean back into my pillows, pinching the phone between my ear and shoulder to pull the blankets up.

"Can I come over?" His voice sounds raw in my ears, strained. I know I'm the cause of some of the tension he feels, but something about the despair and raw emotion in his voice breaks down any reservations I have.

Even though we said we would talk tonight, he didn't stay after dropping me off. The day seemed to overwhelm him. He was distant with us the whole drive back.

"Of course you can, is everything okay?" The line goes dead without another word from him. I try to call him back, but he doesn't answer.

Ten minutes later, I'm pacing my cabin, calling him back again when the screen door slides open. I rush to meet him. I'm about to speak when I see his eyes are bloodshot, his cheeks streaked with tear marks.