Chapter 26: Greyson

July 11

Minett, Muskoka

It's six in the bloody morning, and I haven't even had a coffee yet. At this moment, I regret the promise I made to Elle that I would partici[ate in the entire list this summer. It's how I was roped into this adventure, I lean against my truck's tailgate, waiting for my friends to get their shit together.

I've done more driving in the past two days than I have in my whole time with a license and will basically triple that over the next few days as we drive between concerts, cottages, city, and back here.

We've met up at the marina this morning, and we're all driving to the Ottawa Blues Festival for a few days to see Simple Plan, Rodney Crowell, Alexisonfire, and Kid Rock perform.

This merry little band can never agree on any music preferences, so this was the closest we could come to satisfying everyone. I'm actually looking forward to it, though. Even if the coordination is a bit of a nightmare.

Ryan leans down beside me, smiling. "Your girl sure is bossy, Grey. I like her more and more every single day, gotta say." I smile and turn my attention to her.

"I like her too, more than like her if I'm honest."

Ry raises an eyebrow at me but doesn't say anything else.

Last night she'd been so calm, so soothing. I'd watched her while she slept this morning, her eyes squeezed tight like she was focusing on forcing herself to sleep. It was the sweetest thing I've ever seen, like she has to try too hard to sleep as well. I'd never tell her, but she looks tired today, and I know it's my fault for causing her a restless, mostly sleepless night.

Sighing, I look over to where Hud, Elle, Theo, Sarah, Mads, and her boyfriend Craig are debating logistics. I have two seats in my car, room for Elle and one more person, preferably only Elle. I'd like to talk to her a little about yesterday.

Ry's also driving and, he's borrowed his mum's big SUV, so he can take up to seven others with him. Craig wants to take his own car, though, whatever. Elle's reasoning with him that it's more environmentally and financially responsible to carpool, but he won't hear any of it. With a shrug, I watch her give up, waving him off, and he tugs Mads with him.

Mads looks a bit sad, and I actually feel bad for her. I imagine she wants to capture that road trip feeling with her friends and boyfriend, not sit alone in his car. Or, maybe not though, I raise my eyebrow as he kisses her, intensely, before helping her into his flashy mustang. Perhaps, like me, he just wants time with his girl.

"You've got the map printed out with directions to Jules' place, right?"

"Bro, I've got the entire freakin' dossier Elle gave me. I think I could find my way to the moon with everything in here. I don't have the heart to tell her I have a GPS in the car. Don't worry about Jules though, we've made all the plans to pick her up. You can reassure your girl. Scout's honor." He holds his hand up in a sign, creating a 'V' and separating his fingers.

I laugh at that, shaking my head. "She can be a bit obsessive, but it comes from a good place. By the way, that's the Vulcan Salute, not the Scout sign, idiot."

He laughs, slapping me on the back. "I know, just wanted you to loosen up. Wheels up, catch you in a couple hours."

Ry, Theo, Hud, and Sarah pile into Ry's car, leaving me with Elle.

I toss our bags into the bed of my truck, covering them and securing the canvas with a bungee cord. I boost Elle into the passenger side, biting the inside of my cheek so I don't laugh at how ridiculous she looks scrambling up into the big truck, maybe the larger tires I added were overkill, but I like them.