Chapter 2

Riley sat at his computer. He just finished his school work. His phone went off again. He didn’t even waste the energy to check it. He knew it was his friends, probably drunk by this time of night, texting him to join them. He was too tired from work, school, and the gym. And if he was being honest he was also just tired of the same old parties. The same people, getting drunk, and doing the same lame things. Drinking games and random hook ups just weren’t his thing. He showed his face enough to make everyone else happy and not seem lame. Not ready to climb into bed he decided to log in online. He stared at the computer screen, watching the chat room feed move up with each post. Until he saw one asking about college. The corner of his mouth lifted in a slight smirk when he read the screen name. So he sent a private message.

Receiver2.0: hey College life is great. What would you like to talk about?

He waited for a reply. 

Demonic_SweetTreat: I am trying to decide on which college to go to. I know time is running out and the parents are always asking. Stressed out. Really need to vent to someone.

Riley smiled. Well there was no small talk. He thought about it but wanted a little more info about the person asking.

Receiver2.0: O ok...first can I ask you some questions? 

He sat back in his chair. It was taking so long for a reply he started to think they left the chat room.

Melody wasn’t comfortable giving out information to a stranger so she hesitated on her reply.

Demonic_SweetTreat: You’re not a creep are you? Why do you need to know more about me?

Receiver2.0: no creep here. Just a bored guy looking for someone to talk to. I just thought it would help me understand you a bit more if I knew a little more about you. First off by your screen name, can I guess you are female?

She smiled. She loved her screen name.

Demonic_SweetTreat: Yes I’m female. And if I ever decide on a college I will be a freshman in the fall. But that is about all I’m giving you. 

Riley laughed. He liked her. She had sass.

Receiver2.0: ok so which college do you want to go to?

Demonic_SweetTreat: if I knew that I would have picked one by now

Receiver2.0: we both know one of them stands out more than the others. 

Melody looked at the pile of college brochures and she knew he was right.

Demonic_SweetTreat: maybe

Receiver2.0: ok so what's the problem

Melody sighed. She didn’t know how to explain her feelings about this college.

Demonic_SweetTreat: first it’s close to home. I guess I always pictured myself moving away for college. It’s also where most of my family has gone. Is it wrong for me to want a place of my own?

Riley thought about this. He moved halfway across the country to go to his college. He couldn’t wait to get out of the house and get some space from his family. But he also missed his little brother, he was only 5 years old and the only good thing to come from his parents’ divorce. 

Receiver2.0: not at all. I know the feeling. I chose a school far from home. But you still want to go there?

Demonic_SweetTreat: at the same time I like it because it's not too far from home and family. I am close to my family. 

Receiver2.0: well I think you have picked a school you just don’t want to admit it. Don’t overthink it. 

Demonic_SweetTreat: but this is one of the most important decisions of my life. How can I not overthink it?!?!

Receiver2.0: sweetheart I assure you it’s not. No matter where you go you will get an education and the great college life I mentioned before can be found on any campus if you look in the right places

Melody leaned back in bed, letting her laptop slide to the side, and thought about what he said. She knew what he said was true. But he didn’t understand her family, or her brother for that matter. Landon was very protective of his little sister. She would always be looking over her shoulder. But that’s too much info to explain to a stranger. 

Riley waited. When she didn’t reply he started to think he said too much.

Receiver2.0: sorry if that’s not what you wanted to hear. You will figure it out. But you’re right, time is running out. fall classes start in less than two months. I’ve been trying to get a head start on studying for my summer finals. Just something you get to look forward to.

Demonic_SweetTreat: no you’re right. I think I have made a decision. I just haven’t brought myself to accept it. lol I can’t believe it’s July already. Hey nerd can I ask you a question?

Receiver2.0: anything for you sweetheart...and who are you calling nerd? lol never been called that in my entire life

Demonic_SweetTreat: first don’t call me sweetheart! Who else is home studying on a friday night? 

Riley finally checked his cell phone because the constant buzzing was driving him crazy. It was his roommate asking for a ride home. He knew he was wasted by the most unreadable texts and slurred voice messages he had left. He sighed, he was actually enjoying himself chatting online. 

Recierver2.0: sry got to go. And just because I work hard to keep my grades up doesn’t make me a nerd...some of us can’t afford to fail. Hope to talk with you again...good night 

Melody was sad to see him go. She knew she was about to fall asleep and should log off but didn’t want to say bye. Before she could reply he had logged out. She turned off the computer and went to sleep.