Chapter 5

It was 2pm and things were finally starting to calm down at the diner. Melody was exhausted as she wiped down what felt like the hundredth table that day. 

“Hey Mel you can get out of here when you’re done with that table.”

Melody looked over at her boss and smiled.

“Thanks Keith!”

Walking out to her car Melody pulled her cellphone out of her purse. She was shocked to see a missed call and two text messages. She smiled when she saw Zoe’s name pop up on her screen. She answered it.

“It’s about time you answered me!”

“Hello to you too. Sorry I took a shift at the diner. I’ve been at work the past six hours.”

“Ehhh...but it’s a Sunday!! No one could pay me enough to get up that early on a weekend.”

Melody laughed. She really missed her best friend. 

“I miss you Zoe.” She laughed.

“I miss you too. I went to a party last night and there were so many hot guys there. I wish you were here with me. We would have been the two sexiest ladies there! What am I going to do without you this fall?” She sighed.

“Well I hope you dance with me and make all those hot guys drool. Because we sexy ladies need to stick together!”

“OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!!!! Are you saying what I think you’re saying!?!? Did you finally decide to join me and not leave me???”

Melody laughs and holds the phone away from her ear. 

“Zoe, calm down! I don’t want to go deaf from you screaming in my ear!”

“But I thought you didn’t want to go because of Landon? I thought you wanted to go somewhere on the west coast?”

Melody thought about it. It made her think about the guy online. 

“I thought I did...but someone made me realize I really wanted to stay here with you and be close to home. I will just have to find a way to live with Landon hanging around for a year.”

“I’ve been telling you that for over a year now...who got you to change your mind?”

Melody could hear the whine in Zoe’s voice. She was jealous. 

“I’ve been gone a month and you’ve already found a new best friend haven’t you?”

Melody laughed at her dramatic friend.

“Don’t worry Zozo, no one could ever replace you in my heart. I’m counting the days you return to me.”

She could hear Zoe giggle at her.  Then someone yelled for her in the background.

“Sorry Mel, got to cut this short, but I am so excited! Call you later! We got some planning to do!!”

Melody said bye and hung up. Before putting her cell away and driving home she remembered she had two messages. She saw the first was Zoe telling me to wake up and answer her call. But it was the second message from an unknown number that made her heart race. 

Demonic_SweetTreat? This is Receiver2.0…..hey. -R

She didn’t know what to text back. Her mind went completely blank. She struggled to type, her fingers seemed to have minds of their own. 

Hey nerd! Yeah it’s me. -M