Chapter 46

To say the next few months were heaven would be an understatement. It was their two year anniversary and they were house hunting. Riley had been saving money for months and was finally able to get a place of his own. But he wanted Melody with him to decide because it would be her home as much as it was his. She seemed to be nervous about it. He noticed how nervous and antsy she had become lately. He wrapped an arm around her while looking around at the house. He loved it. It wasn’t too big or too small. It was close enough to work and campus. It didn't have a pool like the house they rented now but it was a great first home. He smiled down at his sweets and kissed her. He turned her in his arms so she was facing him. 

"I think this is the one."

He leaned down and kissed her. It heated up quickly and he had to remind himself where they were.

"Marry me.?"

Riley’s heart skipped a beat. Did he just hear her right? He pulled back and stared at her, confused. Part of him wanted to say yes...but the masculine part rejected the fact she was asking him instead of the other way around. He must have taken too long to reply because she turned away.

"Forget I said that...you don't have to answer...It was just...just the moment...sorry."

He watched as she walked off and saw the realtor walk in the room. He wanted to follow her but had to finish things with the house. The drive home was quiet. He wanted to fix the awkward silence but didn't know how. He had a romantic dinner planned for their anniversary. He had time to fix this. 

It was like what happened earlier hadn't happened. His sweets acted her usual self and he was relieved. He wanted to enjoy the night...the rest could be worried about later.

After dinner he grabbed her hand and started walking. It was a beautiful night and he wasn't ready to go home. They were walking in silence. Riley looked down at his sweets with a smile and a kiss on his lips before seeing her face. She seemed to be miles away. 

"What are you thinking about? You seem so far away."

He watched as a single tear ran down her cheek before she wiped it away trying to hide it. He stopped and turned her to face him. He put his hands on her cheeks. 

"My Sweets?"

"Why...why didn't you answer me earlier?"

Riley froze. Shit, did she feel rejected?

"My Sweets, you took me by surprise. If I said I hadn't thought about asking you I'd be lying. I froze."

She turned and started walking again. He followed. Both lost in thought.

"So do you want to get married?" She asked.

He hadn’t realized she had stopped and almost walked into her. He was so confused by her roller-coaster. 

"What brought this on? We've never discussed this before and I won't lie, I feel a little put off by you asking me instead of getting to ask you."

He looked at her. She seemed shocked and afraid. He ran his fingers through his hair. This wasn't going well. 

"I'm not saying no...im just...i dont…"

"I'm pregnant."

For the second time he froze at her words. But it was for only a split second before he grabbed her. He spun around with her in his arms. He stopped and kissed her.