Chapter 19

Before they knew it it was fall, the football season was half over, and Fall Break was right around the corner. It was Friday and Melody was pacing back and forth in her dorm room, and glancing at the clock. Zoe through a pillow at her. 

“Girl calm down. You’re going to wear a hole in the floor. It’s not going to make time go any faster.”

Melody sighed and sat down on Zoe’s bed. She was waiting for the guys to get back from the airport. Riley’s family was coming to visit for the weekend to see him play. She didn’t know how to act or how the weekend would go. She knew Riley couldn’t introduce her as his girlfriend. But she was excited to meet his little brother, who he talked about often. Riley had texted her saying they had already left the airport and were heading back. The plan was a tour of campus and the football stadium. It was his brother’s first time visiting. Then dinner before they left for the hotel. 

We’re back. Meet us outside in 5? -R

We will be right down -M

She took a deep breath to calm her nerves. The girls walked outside and Melody saw Riley standing next to the picnic table with a little boy on his shoulders. He was talking to a tall gentleman who had an arm draped over a woman’s shoulders. Landon was trying to hide behind a tree so the little boy couldn’t find me. Melody couldn’t hide the smile on her face. Riley looked up at her as they got closer. 

“Mom, Archer, this is Melody and Zoe. Melody is Landon’s sister and Zoe is her roommate.”

“It’s nice to meet you!

“Hey what about me?”

“And this little guy is Finn.” Riley laughed.

After their introductions they started on their tour. Melody hung back with Zoe and didn’t talk much but she enjoyed watching Riley interact with his family, especially his little brother. When the evening was over, as always she itched to hug and kiss Riley goodbye, but she was getting used to it. 

I’m so glad you got to meet my family, even if it wasn’t how I would have liked you to meet my mom. I think Finn is smitten with Zoe..lol -R

I think all guys are fascinated with Zoe..lol He’s adorable! I see a lot of you in him -M

Not all guys! And really? Sometimes I regret moving so far away from him. He was 2 when I moved here. -R

But if you had stayed in Oregon we never would have met -M

Sure we would have...just maybe not in person...lol -R

Heading to bed. See you at the game Good night! -M

Good Night My Sweets! -R

The next day Melody and Zoe met up with Riley’s family outside the stadium. They went in and all sat together. Melody sat between Zoe and Finn. Finn wanted to sit between Melody and Zoe but his mom had laughed and told him he had to sit next to her. 

“Hey buddy, you want to help me go get some drinks and snacks?” His dad asked.

“Can Zoe come?!?!” 

They all laughed and Zoe took his hand and followed behind her little admirer. 

“What year are you Melody?” 

“I’m a Freshman.”

“Oh I guess I figured you were closer to Riley’s year…...So how long have you two known each other?”

“A few months. We met when he stayed with Landon for their week of summer break.”

“That’s right. We were out of town visiting Archer’s family. I’m so thankful your parents allowed him to stay, there was no reason for him to fly home to an empty house.”

“I don’t think Landon gave my parents much of an option but don’t worry he behaved himself.”

They watched as the players came out on the field and Melody smiled when she spotted Riley. 

“How long have you two been dating?”

Melody looked at her shocked.

“WHAT?! We’re not…”

She laughed at Melody’s reaction. 

“I know my son and I have never seen him look at anyone the way he looks at you. And by the look on your face I believe you care deeply for him as well. Call it mother’s intuition…”

Melody didn’t know what to say, she just sat there, her face on fire. 

“I take it Landon doesn’t know?”

She dropped her head and shook it. She felt guilty. 

“I see. I won’t say anything. But Melody...I’m glad he found someone. Being so far from home I worry about him.”

“Thank you Mrs. Paxton.” Melody smiled at her.

“It’s Mrs. James now but please call me Hannah.”

“MOMMY! Look at this huge bag of popcorn Daddy got me!!” 

Finn came running up to them. They laughed at him and let everyone sit down. 

“Just in time for the kick off! I was about to leave those two in line.” 

They laughed at Riley’s step dad and Mrs. James rolled her eyes at him. Before the game was half way over Melody had switched seats with Finn because Zoe and Finn were playing around her more than watching the game. At one point Melody found herself hugging Riley’s mom after he caught a pass and made a touchdown. When the game was over Finn was asleep, leaning on Melody. Archer went to pick him up but Melody told him she got it. 

Riley was surprised to see Melody with a sleeping Finn in her arms when he walked out of the locker room. He hugged his mom and gave Melody a wink. Landon came outside and they all started walking towards the parking lot to the James’ rental car. Riley’s mom smirked at him.

“What?”

“I didn’t say anything.” 

“Mom, I know that look. What?”

“I like her.”

Riley quickly glanced at Landon to make sure he couldn’t hear them. 

“I could tell and my suspicions were confirmed when I talked to her earlier. I just hope you’re being careful.”

“Mom! You don’t have to worry about that.”

“I just...you know...I can tell you have strong feelings for her...I don’t want to see what happened…”

“Mom, don’t worry.” He smiled at her and hugged her.

He watched as they all climbed into the car. Especially watching Melody put a sleeping Finn in and buckling him up. He would be lying to himself if he said that it didn’t make his chest tighten at the sight. She caught him staring and smiled at him. Riley was overjoyed she was getting along so well with his family.

The next day they all met up for brunch before heading to the airport. Melody was sad to see them go and her heart broke a little at the sight of a crying Finn hugging everyone bye. But she couldn’t help but smile when his mom gave her a hug before picking up Finn.