Chapter 37

It had been a couple days since her fight with Riley. And her first day back at work since the party. She was happy she was scheduled to work with Willow and not Patrick. She hadn't gotten the chance to talk to Willow about her little sleepover yet and wanted to know what happened. She looked up to see Willow walk out of the back room ready to work. She smiled at her. Willow rolled her eyes and walked over.

"Spill! What happened the other night?"

"Well after all the drama there wasn't much of a party. I was hanging out with Zoe, we were trying to figure what was going on. Landon started kicking people out and Zoe went to check on you. I stuck around to help clean up. It was late and Landon and I were talking so he invited me to stay. Honestly I didn't sleep with your brother. We just talked most of the night and slept."

Melody was surprised and laughed.

"Well Zoe will be relieved to know that."

"Oh my God. Is she into him?"

Melody left out an even bigger laugh. 

"Eww no! Just you slept in her bed that night."

"Oh right."

Melody watched her blush. 

"You like him don't you?"

Willow blush grew bigger.

"Well I know he's single again. And I've never heard of him spending the night with a girl and not sleeping with her. So...i don't know."

"And you would be ok with me asking him out on a date?"

"Of course. Just don't use him and it's all good."

The rest of work was a normal day. Melody was happy to be back to some sort of normal. As they were closing up Patrick walked in.

"So much for a normal shift."

"What was that?" Patrick asked.

"Nothing. What are you doing here?"

When he got close enough she could still see a slight bruising on his left cheekbone area. 

"I came to talk to you. See how things were since the party."

"Things are good. Thanks for asking. But you didn't have to come in just for that."

"Patrick! What's up?"

Willow walked out the back room. They were ready to leave and lock up.

"Hey Will, just wanted to check in with Mel."

They all walked outside. Willow said her goodbyes and walked off. Leaving Melody standing with Patrick who didn't seem to be leaving. 

"Do you have a minute to talk?"

Melody nodded and they walked over and sat on the curb. She waited in an awkward silence for him to talk. She had never really spent much time with Patrick and the few times they did hadn't worked out very well.

"First I want to say I'm sorry about the misunderstandings last weekend."

"Patrick it wasn't your fault."

"I know but I feel bad."

"Riley and I were...kind of in a disagreement...and he overreacted. I'm sorry he took it out on you." 

"So are we good?"

"Yeah."

"Good because I wanted to ask...if it would be weird if I asked Zoe out…"

Melody laughed.

"What is with everyone asking me if it's ok to ask people out?! Patrick you and Zoe are adults. I have no say in what you do. You are a great guy and I would hope you'd treat her well. And I know for a fact she thinks you're hot. So I say go for it."

--------------

When Melody got home she showered and put Riley's jersey and some shorts on. She put a pizza in the oven and sat down on the couch with a salad. It was Wednesday which meant Zoe had a late class and wouldn't be home anytime soon. She was laying down watching TV when Riley came in covered in sweat from his workout. He leaned down to kiss her.

"Ewww…go shower you're gross!" She laughed. "Don't take too long, dinner is almost ready."

"Yes dear!"

Melody was just pulling the pizza out of the oven when Riley came out of his room. He was in just a pair of sweats and no shirt, his hair wet and unkempt. Melody stared. He gave her a smirk.

"You're staring."

"So are you, mister!"

"I can't help it. You in my jersey is about the sexiest thing I've ever seen."

"Well if you can manage to part your eyes, dinner is ready."

They sat down together and ate. It was the first time since their fight that they spent time together, just the two of them. When they were done Riley cleaned up. Melody turned on a movie and sat back down on the couch. Riley came and sat down next to her and put an arm around her. Melody rested her head on his chest. She could hear his heart racing. 

"Nervous?"

"Yeah a bit. It's like a first date all over again. I don't know what to do...I don't want to mess it up." 

"Trust me, you can't mess anything up. Just relax." 

She kissed him and laid back down. He seemed to relax...for a while. She noticed him tense up again. When the movie was over she sat up and looked at him. 

"I hate how well you can read me." He said.

She turned off the tv and saw him start rubbing the back of his neck. 

"Ok what is it now?" She asked as she got up. 

"I don't want you to go. I want you to stay in my room tonight. But I don't know..."

Melody had to hold back a laugh. She didn't want him to think she didn't care about his anxious feelings. Without a word she took his hand and led him to his room. They climbed into bed and Riley wrapped his arms around her.

"Please don't hesitate to ask again. I trust you and I've missed sleeping in your arms."

She felt him kiss the back of her head as he pulled her in closer. 

"I've missed this too. I can't remember the last time I had a good sleep without you here."

It wasn't long before he was sleeping and Melody smiled to herself. For the first time in weeks she felt things were going to be ok.