Chapter 22

Melody had spent the morning opening gifts and eating a big family breakfast. With their bellies full all four of them sat down to watch a Christmas movie. Melody was surprised to hear her phone go off. She didn't know what to think when she saw it was a text from Riley. She didn't know if it was because it was Christmas or what but she decided to text back.

Merry Christmas -M

I hope your having a good holiday...I miss you -R

Don't. I hope you have a good holiday too. Tell Finn, Archer, and your mom I said Merry Christmas -M

I will. Can we talk? When we get back to campus...i don't want to try and explain things over the phone…please -R

Riley I don't know what there is to say -M

Just give me a chance -R

Okay...got to go bye Riley -M

Bye My Sweets -R

Melody’s chest ached at him calling her his sweets. She hadn't realized how much she had missed it until now. Six days…six days until she would be back on campus. She was already getting nervous and wondering if it was a good idea. She decided good or bad she needed to talk to him to get some closure. 

…………..

Riley had never been so nervous. He was waiting on the picnic table outside of Melody’s dorm. He saw her walking outside. His heart ached for her. She was still beautiful but she was different. She walked with her arms crossed like she was shielding herself. She seemed to be paler and thinner. He knew he caused this. It made him hate himself even more. 

"Hi." He said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Want to come up? It's freezing out here." Melody asked.

"Sure. I didn't know if you would want me to come in."

He followed her up to her room. He was relieved to see Zoe wasn't in their room. He watched Melody sit on Zoe’s bed, cross her legs, and wrap her arms around a pillow. He rubbed the back of his neck, unsure where to sit. He turned her desk chair around and sat in front of her.

"Ok...first, I want to say I'm sorry! I'm sorry how I reacted when you...touched me. I shouldn't have literally ran off like I did. You took me by surprise and I kind of freaked out. But that's no excuse. I know you've probably come up with hundreds of reasons why I acted that way and I'm here to tell you none of them are correct."

He saw tears start to run down her face. He wanted to hold her and tell her it was all going to be alright but he knew that wouldn't help. 

"I want to say I'm sorry for not trying to have this talk with you sooner. My mom helped me realize some things. I realized my feelings for you are far greater than even I knew. And it's because of that I'm going to tell you something I never thought I'd share with anyone."

"You still have feelings for me?"

The corner of his mouth raised in a half smile. Riley finally decided to move over to the bed and sit next to her. He wiped a tear from her cheek.

"I wouldn't be here Sweets if I didn't."

He took a deep breath, not sure where to start.

"In high school I was a star football player, honor roll student, and Mr. Popular. It all kind of changed senior year. My girlfriend and I had been together all throughout high school. Shortly after senior year started she told me she was pregnant. I thought my life was over. Finn was like two, so I knew how much time and money a baby needed. I had just got acceptance letters from multiple schools, one with a full ride to play football. I felt it all come crashing down. I loved her or at least I thought I did. I knew I would support her and the baby. My mother was very upset but understood I had to do what was right. For a while we were happy and excited. Around four months, in the middle of winter, she lost the baby. She became depressed and pulled away from me. I didn't know what to say or do. I was fighting my own mixed emotions. I was sad she didn't make it but I was also relieved. Which made me feel guilty and ashamed of myself. After we graduated we both moved away to different colleges. Trying to make a new start. I haven't been with anyone since. We had always taken precautions and she still ended up pregnant. I promised myself I would wait. When I met you it was the first time I really felt something. Then when we kissed I knew you were going to be trouble. I don't know how many times I've had to pull myself away from you to stop myself."