Chapter 58

2 months of trying to be friends.

2 months of pretending everything was alright, even though I very well knew it wasn't.

2 months of feeling a whole in my heart, so big I wasn't even sure it could ever be filled again.

It's hard to let go of someone but it's even harder to hold on, not knowing if you'll ever be able to pull it back to how it was. To how you wanted things to be.

We both decided it was best for now. To find ourselves again without becoming dependent on the other. Did I like that decision? No, not even one bit.

But I had broken his trust and I wanted it back before he opened his heart to me again. He had to heal, not just from the wound but from the secrets as well.

Daniel got to leave the hospital about three weeks ago and I was there for him every step of the way but we only made one step at the time. For now...

Nathan was found about a week after everything went down and even though the investigation was still going, the probability of him walking around freely in the near future was very slim. I didn't really want anything major happening to Rachel because stupidly enough, I still saw her as a friend. I don't know what about her story it was but it made me feel sad for her.

I quickly shook myself out of my thoughts as I flattened out the dress I was wearing and took in my look in the mirror. I looked alright, that's not mentioning the dark circles under my eyes that even concealer couldn't fix anymore.

Sighing loudly, I grabbed my purse from the bed and walked down before entering the weird atmosphere that rested in the kitchen. Mom and dad peacefully sat in front of each other and even after all the history, mom decided she would put it all aside if it meant he would be there for me. She really was the bravest woman I knew...

My dad noticed me first and a smile came to his face as he looked at me "You look beautiful Ella"

I returned his smile and made a quick swirl, showing off my graduation dress. Yes, graduation. Despite all the shit going on, all of us managed to pass. Together...

"Are you ready to go honey?" my mom called for me and I softly nodded as the both of them got up from their seat.

The whole way there, there was just one thing that kept repeating in my head and it was slowly driving me nuts. I missed him like crazy...

Being friends with him wasn't the same as actually being with him.

My parents kept making small talk with each other until we entered the parking lot and I could already see Sophia and Ashley happily running towards the car.

"You're here", Sophia yelled excitingly as they both dragged me out of the car and into a tight hug, a few heads turning our way. My mom and dad quickly gave me a wave before they disappeared into the crowd of conversing parents and students.

"Yeah, like I was gonna miss graduation", I shook my head slightly and they pulled back before Sophia gave me a stern look. Shit... I already knew what she was gonna say...

"You're also not missing the graduation trip either", she reminded me and I sighed. Our year had planned a little of a end of the school year vacation and even though I knew that this would be a one of a kind experience, I wasn't sure if I was really feeling up for it.

"There she is", I turned my head, my heart slightly speeding up as Sarah walked our way, pushing Daniel forward in his wheelchair. The doctors had insisted on it with all his injuries when he left the hospital but I knew he absolutely hated it.

"Help us out", Ashley turned with a puff towards Sarah and Daniel before pointing her thumb at me "She still doesn't want to come on the trip"

"You're not missing that, even I'm going", Daniel spoke, one of his hands patting the wheelchair before Sarah followed his words "Exactly, we're not allowing that"