Damned Unpleasant Children part 3

Elena sat on the couch playing with her pink scarf as Stefan made tea in the kitchen.

"Doing okay?" Stefan asked as he came over with two mugs and sat down beside her.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" Elena asked, looking at him.

"You just help torture and then kill someone." Stefan reminded her softly.

"First of; when he threatened Jeremy, he forfeited his life because that is one thing I cannot let go or forgive!" Elena growled. "And second: there is very little I wouldn't do to protect my friends and family, plus I refuse to be a distressing damsel that always needs rescuing."

"I wish you didn't have to fight at all." Stefan admitted.

"Is that you're upbringing in the 1800s or are you being a misogynistic pig?" Elena glared at him. "Because if it's the second I will kick your ass."

"I think it's both my upbringing and that I don't like seeing my friend in danger." Stefan answered quickly.

"Good answer." Elena smirked at him.

"I do need to tell you something and I don't know how you're going to feel about it." Stefan said slowly.

"What?" Elena turned so all off her focus was on Stefan.

"I told Damon that I'd help him get into that tomb to get Kathrine back." Stefan informed her and she smiled but Elenas smile slipped as he continued. "But that was a lie. I let him believe he could trust me."

Elena slapped him hard over the back of the head and glared at him. "Stefan!"

"What?" Stefan actually looked shocked, like he didn't know why she was mad at him.

"We are helping him get Kathrine back!" Elena declared.

"Why?" Stefan asked. "Damon kills people and it will be more dead bodies if Kathrine joins him."

"Stefan, you are vampires, killing is in your very nature." Elena tried to make him understand.

"But that doesn't mean we have to kill and be monsters." Stefan argued.

"Oh Stefan." Elena sighed softly as she saw the self-hatred in his eyes. "Just because you are a vampire and kill people doesn't make you a monster."

"But..." Stefan looked so lost.

"Think of it like this; if the earth gets an overpopulation of rabbits, what happens?" Elena asked him when he just looked confused, she continued. "The population of foxes also go up to regulate the rabbit population. You with me so far?"

"Yeah, but I don't see what this have anything to do with vampires." Stefan shrugged.

"In this conversation the rabbits are the humans while the foxes are the vampires." Elena explained patiently. "Vampires are basically there so humans don't over populate the world, well more than they already have."

"Oh." Stefan looked like he was deep in thought and contemplating everything Elena had told him.

"Think about it, Stefan." Elena encouraged him. "How do you think the human population would fare without vampires if we already have basically over populated the world and starving, homeless and jobless people are a norm and our natural resources are running out?"

"It would be chaos and a lot more people would die." Stefan said in realization.

"Exactly." Elena smiled proudly at him.

"I've never thought about it like that before." Stefan looked at her and smiled. "Thank you."

"You are very welcome." Elena smiled back. "Now are you onboard with helping your brother?"