Chapter 48

" It's been two agonizing days for Alex and Cassie's loved ones waiting for miracle that she would be able to pull through this ordeal. After Dr. Calloway informed them of her condition, they felt like something heavy crushed them over. The Doctor told them that the first 24 hours would be crucial. They stopped the bleeding but they were still observing her head injury if there's going to be a blood clotting as they could see there are some swelling in her brain. It's too early to predict the extent of the damage from her head. Her skull is fractured due to the impact when she was thrown away at the concrete sidewalk. Performing a head surgery is delicate right now at her present condition, she just lost so much blood and it would be dangerous if she undergo another operation. Her body needs to recuperate first, luckily there's no internal bleeding, just her head suffered the most from the full impact of her accident.

Alexander felt helpless listening to the Doctor's prognosis of Cassie's condition. They're going to wait for another 24 hours for the doctors to perform for her head surgery. Another excruciating pain struck Alex and her family, this waiting for the unknown.

A sudden burst of angry tirade from Alfred were thrown at Alexander.

It's your fault you put Cassandra into this situation. If you not have dragged her into your mess she wouldn't be there fighting for her life. If anything happened to my daughter God forbid I will hold you accountable.

That's enough Alfred, Elizabeth commanding voice stilled everyone's movement.

This is not the time for blaming and pointing fingers. It's not Alexander's fault, can't you see he suffered the most. If you blamed anyone, blamed the culprits. We are here as a family, we should support each other for these trying times. Let's just hope and pray that Cassie will come through this.

Alfred is still indignant but Maggie tried to appease her brother.

Calm down brother, I know were all worried but Elizabeth is right, your anger wouldn't help Cassandra's situation.

They day  Doctor Calloway and his colleagues prepared for the surgery everybody huddled together in silent prayer hoping for miracle. Alex is non- believer after his parents death, but now he cannot think of anything who could help him but prayed for the divine intervention. He never prayed this hard on his life, but for Cassie's safety and recovery he humbled himself , he would kneel and bowed down for God's mercy.

After four nerve racking hours of waiting, Dr. Calloway comes out from the operating room, they waited in anticipation. Worries etched on their faces trying to read the Doctor's tired appearance. The Doctor faced them with his solemn look as they held their breath waiting for his confirmatory diagnosis.

Well Doctor, how was it? Elizabeth Cornell asked with her commanding voice with a slight tremor on it.

Alfred just look at his Mother- in- law with impatient and disbelief.

The surgery were successful, we removed the blood clot although we almost lost her, but lucky we stabilized the bleeding, she's a fighter.

A sigh of relief can be heard by those around, specially Alex.

But the doctor is not finished yet, he has something to say that they don't want to give false promises and assurance at Cassie's condition is unpredictable at this stage. Let's just hope that her condition improved tomorrow when she wakes up. Brain surgery is tricky, he told them the truth.

And if she didn't? again Elizabeth asked which earned a fierce glare from Alex.

We deal with reality here, honestly I can't tell, although the surgery is successful there's a possibility that the patient were going into coma, it's all in God hands now.