Chapter 24

Tanvi's POV:

For the past one week, I have been trying my level best to be normal even when nothing is. Trying to set things right, but blame me. I just couldn't. 

Ever since I asked him to give me some time, I started avoiding him more. At times, I said I am still weak, and other times, I said I was busy with my assignments and other incomplete works, and hence I haven't been answering his calls. 

The guilt is increasing everyday, and the pain is multiplying. No matter how much I try to reveal the truth, I just can't. My throat goes dry, and I start to stutter. I couldn't be as friendly as I was earlier with him. I guess I became too close to him too soon, and he understands my emotions well enough from my voice. He can understand whether I am sad, tired and angry.

Lately, I am losing my chill because of the smallest of things. In school, I shouted at my other classmates when they asked me any simple doubts or requested favors from me. 

And forget about Samyuktha. I only look at her when she comes to me and tries to initiate a conversation, to which I never reply. It's heartbreaking for me too. When I was alone on New Year's eve, that unknown person gave me comfort, but now when I am even more alone and shattered, there is no one.

I am unable to let anyone help me. Somewhere, I know even she repents her mistakes all alone. Even she needs me, as much as I need her, I just couldn't forget everything. 

And I have been trying to know who that unknown person is. And I failed even in doing that. Not many seniors are coming to school as there is only a week left for their exams to begin, and those who are coming don't know much about him. It sounded too irrational, like how can one not know their own classmate? Only two things are known until now. He doesn't have any friends, and he is the silent type.

I couldn't believe those things. Maybe the friends part is understandable because when I used ask him about his friends and his day, he used to say he had a boring one. When I tried to prolong the topic, he used to change it off. But the silent type? I know he is more of a listener than a speaker, but definitely not the silent kind. Most of the time, he is the one who initiates a topic, and then I take the lead.

 But people are not same everywhere, right? I learned this the hard way through him and Samyuktha. Had I received her support, then I would have gotten access to their class register and their students details, but now I can't do any such thing.

Finally, the long bell rang, and everyone began to disperse from the classroom. No one stayed behind except me and Samyuktha.  I know she is waiting again to get a chance to talk to me. I sighed and left after a moment when all the buses and other vehicles departed from the school compound. 

"Tan," Samyuktha called me from behind in a broken voice. Since I came to know everything, I have only been hearing her sobs more then her words. I didn't paid much heed to her and continued walking to my cycle. 

As I reached my cycle and about to unlock it, she came in front of me and held my hand. I looked at her while she held her head low. 

"Leave me, Samyuktha," I said blankly. I was afraid I would start crying again.

"Please, Tan. I didn't do it deliberately. Please don't ignore me. You are my only friend." She hiccupped. "Punish me in anyway you feel justified," she said, crying very inconsolably. I know how bad it feels to be ignored by our own people, but I am unable to befriend her again.

"Ok, tell me one thing. It's been a question for me since few days." , I said. and she glimpsed up to me and nodded her head. I continued, "Remember, the day when we sneaked into office room and took the number. Did you really note a wrong number or purposefully gave me a wrong number?"