• Chapter 23 •

Hope you enjoy this chapter, as always feel free to ask me anything❤️

~ (Y/n)'s P.O.V. ~
We were sitting at the bow of the ship, we were just etching away from a small sun which, even though we were in space, was mimicking a sunset. There were hues of purple pink and blue in the vast area that I could only describe as the sky, even though it's not technically the sky.

I was sitting closer to James than Tom, just to reassure him. I don't really know if it was working much but I was trying.

I lay back, and rested on James. "It's really pretty, isn't it?" I sighed watching the almost night sky.

"Yeah it really is" Tom said, starry eyed.

"I mean yeah, but it doesn't make sense. We're in space, we shouldn't be able to see a sunset" Jim said while playing with my hair.

"Sh James, just enjoy the moment." I giggled, and put my finger to his lips to shush him.

"Haha, ok." He smiled a genuine smile when looking down at me. It was the first time in a while that he had.

Just as Tom was about to say something Silver came up behind us. "What are you rapscallions doing sitting around here?" Silver grinned, but then realised Tom sitting with us. "Aren't you the cabin boy? What are you doing resting? Get to work boy!" He ordered.

"Silver! He's our friend." I shouted. "Leave him alone, we're enjoying the view."

"Oh and I suppose because he's your little friend, he no longer has to work then." Silver retorted, eyes still burning into Tom.

"Yes." I said plainly.

Silver and I had a little stare off, he was stood with his hands on his hips but eventually he gave in and with a deep sigh he said, "Fine. But only till the morning. Then it's back to work." as he wagged finger at Tom.

"Thank you Captain." Tom nodded.

James hadn't butted in which was good in a way, he didn't really get involved. I could've been sure that he would take Silvers side but he seems to be really trying. He tapped me in the shoulder lightly and I turned to face him again. I raised an eyebrow and he pointed at something coming from behind the ship.

"What in the world is that?" I questioned.

"Cant quite see from here." Silver said squinting.

In the distance there was this glowing ball, getting closer and closer. It has a slight blue tint to it and somehow looked like liquid whilst still retaining it's spherical shape. It didn't look threatening, wasn't going too fast. It seemed as if it was going to just float right past us.

As it came up to the side of the ship and was right beside us, we all raced to the edge to take a closer look and see if we could make out what it was.

"Blimey!" Silver said.

"They're-" James started to say before I finished his sentence with, "Mermaids!"

A quiet, "Woah.", was all Tom managed to get out.

These mermaids, were swimming around this ball of what I could only assume was water, their tails shimmering in the glow of it. I couldn't believe my eyes. Sure I had seen many many, crazy things at this point in my life but nothing as mythical as mermaids.

"I thought they were just an old wives tail, from drunken sailors." Silver said still astonished.

"Me too." Jim replied.

We were all still staring at them, in complete awe. I, by some luck, managed to catch one of the mermaids eye. She looked at me for a moment and tilted her head, like she was trying to figure out what I was. Her hair was a glimmering blonde floating graceful around her face. Her eyes were jet black, but also had an iridescent shimmer. She looked ethereal.