• Chapter 8 •

Just as we thought we were safe, shots were beginning to be fired at us. I frantically looked around to see where they were coming from. It was one of the Royal navy ships shooting at us.

"Jim we have to get away, it doesn't matter what way you go!" I said turning the sails. "Some time today please?!" I said, out of breath.

"I know, i'm trying." Jim shouted, pressing loads of controls and then turning the wheel.

We were able to avoid most of the blasts that were shot at us. Eventually they were no longer concentrated on us, they were focusing on The Centurion so we were able to get away.

When we were out of sight of The Centurion and the Royal navy ship, we stopped. "Why was the navy shooting at us?!" Jim asked angrily.

"Jim they obviously couldn't tell it was us, they must've thought it was the pirates trying to get away." I said putting my hand on my arm, trying to calm him down.

"Oh yeah..." He said, calming down a bit.

"That was close." I sighed.

"It was. We should really figure out what way we're going now." Jim walked over to the small control panel.

Jim entered the co-ordinates of the city and we started to head towards the Lagoon Nebula.

"This journey shouldn't be too long, it's not too far." Jim said looking over at me

"Yeah let's just hope the journey will be worth it." I said.

I was sitting on the edge of the longboat letting the wind run through my hair. You'd think i'd learn to stay away from the edge at this stage...but nope. I, obviously wasn't paying much attention and when Jim sped up a little bit I began to feel unsteady.

I almost fell off the edge, "(Y/n)!"...but Jim stopped the boat, caught onto my leg then grabbed my hand and pulled me back over into the boat.

"Phew, that was close." I laughed standing up. "Thanks Jim."

"You need to stop doing that." A very worried looking Jim said.

"I'm fine, i had you there to catch me again." I punched his arm playfully.

"You really are a clumsy cutie huh?" He laughed.

I laughed with him but my expression quickly changed as I began to think, "You seem to be living up to your nickname lately too." I said as a sadder look spread across my face.

"Crazy casanova?" He asked, confused.

"Yeah, you have been a bit of a casanova lately." I replied, standing up.

"What?! No I haven't!" He said defensively.

"Seriously Jim? I've seen the way you are around Kate." I scoffed. "Plus all the...well all the girls that are practically in love with you." I said feeling myself getting emotional.

"Hey I was talking to Kate because you were ignoring me!" Jim shouted pointing at me.

"Well i'm sorry, I couldn't be dealing with how condescending you are!" I shouted right back.

"I am not!" Jim said.

"Are too!"

"Am not!"

"Are too!"

The shouting between us stopped when I began to cry. I sat down and sobbed into my hands. It wasn't even the shouting that had made me cry, it was because of all the emotions that had been building up. The emotions had to come out at some point.

Jim stood there for a moment confused, but quickly changed his tune and sat down next to me. He put his arm around me, comfortingly rubbing my shoulder.

"(Y/n) I- I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make you cry, or feel bad or anything." He said, clearly sounding very sorry.

"No, no it's fine." I said wiping away my tears with my sleeve. I cleared my throat, "This isn't your fault. I'm sorry." my voice cracking.

"What?" Jim asked, confused.

"Nothing." I said dismissively.

"(Y/n)...please, talk to me." Jim pleaded.

I burst out explaining,  "It's my fault, I started ignoring you without even telling you why. I know I said yesterday that it's because your being overly-confident but it's not. Yes you are being really confident, but you have every right to be. The reason i've been so upset with you is because i'm jealous. I am so jealous of you and I feel horrible about it. You are a top-student."

"Wait, but (Y/n) you're a top-student too. I'd argue even better than me." He smiled.

"It's not just that though Jim, I agree that we're both great students but we're in completely different situations. People despise me for doing well because they think it's all because of Amelia, b-but everyone loves you." I said feeling tears welling in my eyes again.

"(Y/n), loads of people love you" Jim said trying to make eye contact but I was crying so I wouldn't look up at him.

"No they don't!" I said pulling my knees up to my chest. "No one does..." I mumbled.

"I-I love you..." Jim said quietly.

"You do?" I looked up at him surprised, he looked sort of sad.

"Of course I do" He said warmly.

I wrapped my arms around Jim, pulling him into a tight hug, "I love you too." I said, it was sort of muffled because I had my head buried into Jim's jacket, but I knew he heard me because I felt him hug me tighter. We stayed in the warm embrace for a few moments, it was really nice.

"I'm sorry Jim, I didn't mean to be so cold towards you." I said.

"I'm sorry (Y/n), I wasn't intentionally being mean, I wouldn't ever want to make you feel bad." He replied.

"So can we go back to normal now?" Jim laughed pulling away from me.

"Yes, please." I smiled at him.

"Before we get going again, genuine question, was there something between you and Kate?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow.

"Well..." Jim said smiling sheepishly and rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

"Jim!" I shouted, hitting his arm.

"Nooo, I mean I did flirt with her, only when you were around. It sounds bad but I wanted to make you jealous, so you might talk to me again." He explained.

"That doesn't make it any better." I crossed my arms sitting back.

"Forgive me?" He asked.

"Hm, No." I said, I was only joking, of course. He looked really worried for a moment, but when a smile spread across my face, he realised I was being sarcastic.

"You had me worried for a second." He smiled.