Chapter Ten - Denial

————

Brand felt as if his heart had stopped when he saw her face, her of all people. How had he not realised it before.

It was the woman he had been waiting his whole life for. She had finally arrived.

Brand laughed internally at the irony but upon realising what was happening in front of him as he watched the blade swing down embedding itself into the ground, almost slicing her in two, he felt nothing but pure fear course through him.

Brand stood immediately as he let his power explode across the arena, immediately ending this ridiculous trial, which he knew now was clearly rigged against her, they never wanted her to live.

However Lillian was too quick for him, managing to kill the oaf before he had the chance to get down there and intervene.

Brand smirked, he was the least bit surprised she had managed kill him, she had put on quite a show for that bastard of a council, one which they would not forget anytime soon. She was a tough one, that was under no doubt, of course she was going to be someone as stubborn and dangerous as himself, fate was definitely testing him.

Seeing her flop onto the ground created a new kind of fear within Brand and he rushed over to her faster than the eye could see, unfolding his large dark wings as he ran. A pitch black shadow enveloped her as he towered over her and pulled her fragile little body into his arms.

He stood up, rage covering his face as his enormous wings stretched out and flexed, the stadium bowing before him before he leapt into the air and flew off towards the castle as fast as his wings could carry him.

He quickly landed inside the grand structure as he rushed at an inhuman speed deep within the building. With her body still cradled within his arm's Brand slammed the door open to the hospital wing as he lay her softly down on the bed, ordering the vampires around him to fix her, by any means possible.

She was too important to him to lose her now.

Not long after Brand arrived Evelyn and Hyde crashed in through the door to see what was going on. Brand looked up at them slowly as he met their gaze and upon seeing the look on his face standing next to her, Evelyn's face dropped and Hyde gasped.

"Her? Of all people you had to be mated to her?" Even said, clearly not amused as Hyde shoved her lightly, Brand turned to her fury engulfing his eyes as they shifted to pure black, "Shut the hell up Evelyn, she is more important to me than anything in this world, you wouldn't begin to understand" Brand growled as she gulped holding her hands up in surrender, stepping back ever so slightly.

Lillian looked broken laying there unmoving on the thin bed and Brand felt anger rise in within himself, he knew something was wrong when he felt physically unwell watching her in pain throughout the trial.

Brand never felt weird, he never felt anything, but this woman in front of him, she was the key to it all.

Brand breathed deeply as he leant forwards and held onto her hand tightly, her small body lying motionless on the bed as her chest rose and fell erratically, the blood still oozing from her cuts, dropping tortuously onto the floor as it flowed into the stone crevices that covered the ground.

However before his very eyes Brand watched as her cuts begin to sew themselves back together and her bruises slowly faded. Brand blinked in shock, a glimmer of hope rushing through him as he squeezed her hand lightly.

The feeling that had rushed through him when she had looked up at him had been unlike anything Brand had known in his life, it was as if fate was screaming at him itself, and he couldn't and wouldn't let her be taken away from him.