Chapter Thirty-Nine - Tavern

As I walked towards the stables I let out a long deep breath, this was going to be near impossible. I was just going to have to pray to the gods in hope that Brand and Damien wouldn't tear each other apart whilst on this mission, also that there wasn't a dead body left rotting on the doorstep belonging to Matthias when we got back.

I walked over towards the stall as I stroked Starlights head gently and leant my head against hers, "This is going to be a tough trip girl, but at least we are in it together" I muttered as she huffed air at me, my hair blowing back as I chuckled lightly, "yes, that is most definitely the mood" I sighed as I walked over towards the weapons table.

As I filled up my suit with knives, placed my daggers on my back and slung my bow over my shoulder I felt someone walk into the stables, and my body began to hum slightly. I turned around to see Damien stroll in casually as he walked over to Starlight,

I folded my arms leaning back as I watched him quietly, he stepped closer to Starlight as I folded my arms, "Be careful, she doesn't really like anyone but me. She will bite you if she gets the chance" I warned as he chuckled lightly as my words. It was true, me and her had really bonded and she tended to strop whenever anyone else touched her but me.

Kind of reminded me of Brand I thought as I giggled to myself, Damien turning to look at me as my smile fell off my face and he quickly turned back around to the horse.

I smirked to myself watching him slowly approach starlight as I prepared for her to freak out and hopefully take off a finger,

However, to my surprise, she remained calm allowing Damien to stroke her gently, his fingers scratching under her chin as I watched wearily. Damien smiled as he ran his fingers through her mane, scratching her neck. I frowned as I watched the interaction, she didn't even let Brand touch her, this was extremely weird.

"You have a gorgeous horse here Lillian, and don't you worry, I have always tended to get along with animals better than people" he said looking at me as I narrowed my eyes watching him closely. He gently patted her on the head as he calmly walked over to the end stall, unbothered by the surprise on my face. I watched him go in as he slowly walked out a huge stallion, his coat jet black, just like the shadows that always seemed to surround Damien, kissing at his feet.

He was a stunning horse I thought as I looked at him, Damien smiling as he petted him and walked him over to me, "Meet midnight, my precious partner in crime" he said as I smiled walking over to the horse,

Midnight tilted his head down at me as I lifted my hand slowly to reach for his head, practically on my tiptoes. He watched as my hand slowly reached for him and he stepped forward leaning down, nuzzling into my hand as I let out a little giggle at the contact, my fingers brushing over his soft hair.

Damien watched me quietly as he let out a small smile, something I had not seen before, the sight of it sending me into a slight shock, "Guess our horses have something in common then. They only seem to like us two, I have never seen him so calm around anyone else, maybe they're giving you a hint" he said winking mockingly at me as Brand chose that exact moment to walk into the stables causing midnight to huff and puff stomping his feet angrily as I held my hands out in front of my body.

"shhhh hey big boy, it's okay, it's okay. Calm down, you're okay" I murmured as I stepped hesitantly forwards, my hands on midnight's neck calming him down as he looked me in the eyes whilst I stroked him. I bit my lip quickly turning away as Damien's words rang in my ears and I refused to look at him as I stepped backwards away from both of them. I walked out quickly dragging Starlight with me, Damien's gaze burning a hole into the back of my head as I left. Once outside I placed my travel bags on her and I sighed.

"Why Lillian, I must say that you are pretty stocked up for a peaceful mission. Planning to conquer a war along the way?" Damien remarked, chuckling as I swung my leg up and onto Starlight, my hair flicking over my shoulder as I tightened my reins. "Good gods your like a bad smell, I cant fucking get rid of you" I muttered under my breath as Damien smirked, clearly hearing me.

I rolled my eyes as Starlight moved slightly towards Midnight, and I instantly pulled the reins, stopping her in her tracks, "I'm being prepared Damien, that's all. If I'm correct we may encounter some rogues in the forest as well as potential bandits and assassins. I also don't recall asking you to speak to me, why don't you just get on your horse and shut up" I said avoiding his gaze as Brand pulled up his horse up and frowned at me,

"Don't act so surprised that I know what we might encounter. I know these lands very well, and we are going to go straight into the lawless zone, ideally I would like to have some protection." I remarked Damien raising an eyebrow at me, "And also there may be a few things in here just for you Damien, in case you decide to piss me off" I said dryly as I pushed Starlight forward, Damien chuckling loudly behind me,

Soon Brand and Damien were following me out of the gate and I felt eyes burning on me. I turned around and saw Bethany standing by one of the windows as I waved, smiling at her opening our mind link for a second,