Chapter Thirty-Six - Family reunion

We all sat nervously at the dinner table as I picked at my nails, unable to help the deep pit growing in my stomach. Brand had ordered all the guards to stand down, and had practically kicked everyone out of the castle, however his army was not too far away, just in case. That only left me, him, Evelyn, Hyde, and Bethany within the castle walls, impatiently waiting for Damien to turn up. It felt weird, it was just too quiet, I could feel goosebumps erupting all over my body as the silence consumed my mind.

We were sitting down waiting at the dinner table, nobody daring to move as we all glanced at the clock at the end of the dining room, its rhythmic sound piercing my head as I wiped my sweaty palms down my dress. The awkward silence created a thick cloud tension between us all. I glanced around as I saw everyone looking down, not daring to even create a conversation, clearly wondering what the hell was going to happen, well almost all of us.

Evelyn paced angrily up and down the room as she ran her hands through her hair, for once she was dressed down, a casual outfit on as she moved silently across the stone floor,

She growled as she pointed at Brand, "he better not bring that fucking prick with him, I swear to the gods I will run him through before he gets near that gate" she spat as I grimaced at her tone, her claws struggling to stay within her skin. Since running into Matthais again the other day, she had been really struggling with her feelings and her emotions, causing her to lash out at us, and often quite violently.

"Hey Evelyn, just take some deep breaths, it will be okay, you've got us remember. Just stop your pacing please for the love of Gods, your stressing me out even more" I said with a weak smile on my face as she turned around to nod in agreement at me, her face unmoving as she did, but she eventually walked over and sat down next to me at the table,

I couldn't even imagine what it was she could be feeling. Sure he was an asshole, from what I had gathered, but he was her mate and in the end they belonged together, no matter their differences. I glanced next to me as my mind began to wander, how long had she known he was her mate? And how long had they been apart from each other?

I felt a smooth tingle run down my back as my head instantly snapped towards the door, almost off of its own accord, my body responding before my brain could catch up. Brand quickly stood up power radiating through the room as Bethany, Hyde and Evelyn all stopped in their tracks, their heads bowing in response to his power.

"He's here" he muttered as I stood up quickly standing in front of him holding out a hand to his chest trying to hold him back and calm him down, as his breathing came out in small pants, his eyes switching rapidly to and from black as he fought to contain himself.

"Brand, please, for my sake do try not to kill him straight away, we need him alive to help us." I said frantically as I tried to get through to him, through the anger I could feel rushing through him.

Brand looked down at me emotionless as he walked past, a small pain echoing in my chest as he left me behind him, causing me to clench my jaw and quickly follow him to the door.

As I ran to catch up to him I felt another new wave of other power wash through me and I knew immediately that was Damien. Something was different with his however, whilst Brand's was powerful, there was something about this power that made me weak at the knees,

Evelyn rushed behind me as she suddenly halted at the door, refusing to follow me further, "I'm so sorry Lillian but I can't follow you out there, neither can Hyde. They're in charge here, and we must listen to their control. Their power is stopping us from following but you go on, you'll be fine. Try to make sure they don't rip each other to shreds" she said gripping my hand as I nodded passing through the door towards the main hall,

As I reached the front door I found Brand staring at the handle, unmoving as his fist was clenched by his side. "Hey" I said, resting a hand on his arm as I looked up at him, "We can do this together, I'm here for you no matter what." I said as I slowly reached over him and grabbed the handle and opened the door to reveal him, standing there in the courtyard.