Chapter 5: The Good, the Bad and the Innocent- Joseph's Pov

My eyes lingered on her until she's out of sight. I don't understand how one man who owns a single newspaper company could be that powerful?

It doesn't matter, Louise and I aren't friends. It's none of my concern to inquire what's going on with her father, so it's safe to avoid her period.

"Do you know where Decker is headed to? I need to check up on what's a good time to pick her up for our drive-in movie tonight."

As my springy, brown boots hit the bottom of the stairs, a broad shouldered, tall man joins me.

"I don't know, try her father's office." I proceed to walk past the young journalist, hoping to avoid any further conversation.

Unfortunately, the man doesn't catch on to me trying to leave.

"Swell accent. Where'd you get it from?" The overconfident journalist drifts behind me through the wide office.
"Italy."  I mutter, trudging on. I've never been the best person to socialize with. Pa has called me an antisocial retard. That's just one of his many insults to boost my confidence.  

"An immigrant?" The Journalist is taken back. "Did Mussolini grow tired of you and ship you over to our proud country?" Glancing over at the man for the first time I decided that staying silent was the best option.

Neglecting his crude laughter, I stepped out into the cold, brisk air.

Work is slow when I return. My boss yells at me for being gone for longer than my lunch break which I know would happen since I expected my trip to Decker's Post to take up past my lunch break. I find myself working on a broken subway car part. It's nothing captivating since it's what I usually do everyday.

Reaching for my sketch pad that sits comfortably in the inside of my coat pocket, I begin writing down my thoughts. I'm not sure why I'm doing this but I am.

Maybe it's because of Louise. If I'm to forget her I need to write how I feel about her out of my mind. It's clear we're not destined to see each other again.

I only write half a thought down before my mind yanks me away to sketching down the grand staircase at Decker Post. The distinct designs on the banisters caught my attention as we ascended its steps.

Putting away my sketch pad I get back to work.

Due to worry for their family's safety, a few workers stayed home today. When I rode back to work on my bike, I noted that there were far fewer civilians on the street than normal. Though only slightly more than yesterday.

Police and military soldiers patrol around, occasionally look up at the sky. I know they're on edge in fear that the Japanese are headed for us next. After all, New York is one of the most well-known cities in the United States.

I don't blame our city's protectors since I'm the same way. Our president hasn't spoken about the attack yet so the world is in complete panic. Rob, my manager was pissed at our president for not communicating our plan to the world yet. I suspect he'll be one of the first men to sign up for the drafting here.

This spiraling news was dropped on us just like the bombs in Hawaii and we've had no new information. We're all waiting for the inevitable. War.

Fortunately, around four in the afternoon President Roosevelt finally declares war on Japan. I'm with George in our bedroom listening to the radio blare. The way the president speaks sends uncomfortable chills down my spine. We're officially at war with the Japanese.

"Just wait till ma hears about it." George drives a hand through his curly hair which resembles mine.
"Joseph?" George's voice grows low with concern. "Yes, Georgie?" He swallows, adjusting himself uncomfortably in our squeaky desk chair.