Chapter 11: Liar, Liar, Your World is on Fire- Joseph's Pov

As I boarded the subway back to work, my thoughts kept circling around Louise. Her father in my mind was an ass who shouldn't cross out her dreams. Then I think of my own. Pa has never accepted my dreams. Often when I'd show him my illustrations, when I was a boy, he'd make up an excuse, and then walk away. Ma always enjoyed them but the sketches never felt right since I could never get pa's approval.

Louise's father's power resurfaced into my mind as well. Does her pa really have that much power? What if he's involved with the mob. Rumors circled about them all around the city. They play dirty and kill dirty, or so I've heard from my coworkers.

Italians have been reported to be the most involved in the mob. Could her father be involved? Although it does sound like a plausible accusation, I have serious doubt that he's involved. The mob are mainly Italian men. Right?

"Hey, Capurso!" My boss spots me walking down the stairs as I arrive to work. Late I might add.

"Looks like little Italy's about to get it," chuckles one of my coworkers to another man. I don't look at the man who threw my least favorite slang. Ignoring their laughs, I push on to my boss.

"Where the hell have you been Capurso? I've been searching frantically for you for about an hour now. Don't forget we're short of workers these days." He crosses his arms disappointed. "I was feeling under the weather, so I went for a walk to get some fresh air. It won't happen again sir. I promise."

His face shows no care so I decide to shut up. "It better not, now follow me Capurso!" Orders my boss.

What's happening? I thought I was off the leash. He's going to fire me. At least he's doing it privately, right? I didn't think It'd matter that I ditched work for a little while. There wasn't anything to be fixed and the remainder of us were just drinking coffee and smoking.

I'm beginning to panic and I can tell my boss noticed. Still he says not a single word to me as he leads me to his office. We walked for ten minutes through the winding underground streets before arriving at his office.

It's a small square room with no windows. I've only ever been in it twice in my life. If you were ever called into his office it wasn't a good fate for yourself at this job.

As we enter, there are two men in black dress suits. Both of their fedoras sit on the corner of my boss' desk.

"This is Joseph Capurso. He's the Italian immigrant you asked for." The two men both nod silently, not showing any expressions. They're like the clay statues you see in art museums. I pause feeling my face grow pale. Did he just say Italian immigrant? Why are these men here?

One of the two tall men clear their throat, notifying my boss to leave.

"Alright, very well I'll leave you three to it. Get back to work after you're through here."

Noticing my uncomfortable stance, I'm nudged forward by my boss towards the two statues. He then leaves me alone in his office with these two unknown men.

I keep my distance as I take a step back. "What can I help you with today?" My voice comes out shakier than I'd liked it to sound.

"Take a seat Mr. Capurso. We don't bite." With no choice, I listen, taking a seat behind my boss' desk.

"I'm Detective Jim McCoy. You may call me Detective McCoy." He sits in my boss' seat behind the desk. "This here is my partner detective Alan Buckley." He points to the man who is standing in front of the door. It's more like he's blocking it. Does he think I'll try to escape? Why would I have a reason to escape anyways?

"Did I do something wrong? If this is about me ditching work I didn't mean to be gone for more than an hour sir."

I know for a fact that my boss didn't send for these men because I ditched work. But here I sit in front of them clueless.