Chapter 2: My Future- Louise's Pov

My eyes focused on a silver ashtray sitting on Jacob's desk as I listened to him rant on. I've heard it all before from my stepfather.

"You're just a child and it's just too dangerous for a woman to be interviewing strangers," he explains plainly to me.

I may have graduated high school early but I'm smarter than I look. There's even a diploma in my bedroom to prove it. In two weeks I turn the very mature age, eighteen.

"I read about women who have gone out to document history as real journalists." My voice is firm and deep as I speak. Once, I read in a business book that if you wanted to be taken more seriously, it was important to assert your voice in a deep, confident way.

"Do you mean those outrageous books you've been checking out from the library about female war correspondents?" I nodded softly, my eyes leaving Jacob's.

"Those women weren't right in the head for running to the war the way they did. A woman's place isn't the war Louise, it's at home taking care of the house and children. Speak to your mother about this. She'll agree with me and as should you Louise."

Jacob lights a cigar as I hunch back in his leather chair pouting. It isn't fair that the men get to go out and make history while us women sit on the sidelines observing.

"People have stories and I yearn to share them with the world. New stories are happening each day, waiting to be told. Important stories that people need to hear. Pearl Harbor was attacked today for the love of God." I'm on my feet now. "Louise." Jacob's eyes warn me so I sit back down.

"A courageous woman named Peggy Hull became the first female war correspondent. She fought in the first world war if you've failed to remember the previous time I informed you." I explain to my unamused stepfather.

"Peggy followed American soldiers around the world and made it out alive. This woman was only but a little bit older than me. I want to be a war correspondent, you will publish my writing." I'm ranting too much. Looking back at my stepfather, I can't say if he'll approve.

Jacob has his thinking face on. His face isn't angry, it just looks stern. Most days it's like that.

When mother first married him I warned him that if his face stays in that position any longer it's going to stick there for good. It wasn't the best thing I could have said to my new father, but then I was a young child.

Now, I'm practically an adult and he's sheltering me from the world's fears. I've always been an adventure seeker. Mother always says that I've been a curious child.

Once after mother married Jacob, I carlouslly strode across an unsturdy tree branch that hovered over a rushing river. I wanted to jump over to the other side where I'd spotted a fluffy rabbit and her newborn kits. Unfortunately, I tripped over my own feet causing me to fall to the warm river below me. My knees and elbows were cut up from the rocks and sticks in the shallow water.

"Will you please consider it some more?" At least I have him thinking about it. When he's thinking, like really thinking his right eye twitches. I find it kind of hilarious in a way. Just as I'm about to speak again, his right eye finishes twitching. He's made up his mind.

"No." His voice is firm. "It's only proper to send a woman to write about a play, not the death of an American soldier from the hands of a Chinese man." He spits out.

"Japanese," I correct him bitterly.

"How about I send you to a school to write about the new precautions they're taking. I could leave a small corner for you in tomorrow's paper." He has to be joking with me. I've talked to four different schools and reviewed at least twenty five theatre plays this past year. I'm ready for more. You'd think he'd allow me to publish more of the stories that I've covered in the past since he's the owner of this newspaper company. The Decker's Post.