Epilogue

*Grab your tissues guys*

2016...

The crowd of world war two veterans dabbed at their teary eyes with handkerchiefs as the young author closed her book. The book was to be published to the public the very next day but she thought these kind veterans deserved to be the first to hear it.

"Did that really all happen ma'am?" A slim man with barely any hair on his round head questions the author. "From word to word," promised the woman with a chirpy smile. "We need answers!" A hunched over woman in a wheelchair raises her hand.

"Well, it was one hell of a roller coaster of emotions to write. So, I'm all ears!"

"What happened with Louise and Joseph? Did they get married and have children?" The woman in the wheelchair questions with a thrill in her voice.

"What happened to that young soldier, Hartley? Can we meet all of them?" A smile plastered on the young author's lips.

"These are all interesting questions that I will answer but I will only answer one at a time." The author pauses before speaking again. "Unfortunately, Mrs. Louise Decker Capurso lost her battle to breast cancer just three years ago. I was told by my father who worked for Mr. Capurso, as an architect, that he had passed away two days later due to heartbreak." Hands fly over the veteran's hearts, devastated.

"Bless their hearts."

"Yes, but it's essential that you know that they lived a long and happy life together. I had the pleasure of meeting with the couple before they both passed. They wanted their story shared with the world. Of course you may know Louise's published book back in 1943." A few people in the crowd nod slowly. Her book was globally known and was talked about in school.

"The two of them wanted me to share with the world that this story isn't just theirs, it was also their experience. Many immigrants were impacted by these injustices back then. As a child when my father would bring me into Louise's newspaper company and her husband was there, they'd always told me stories about their wonderful life. They were like superheroes to me." The author smiles to herself remembering the old days. "Louise actually opened her own newspaper company?" The author nods.

"Yes, she did. She opened her own company in 1951. It's now run by her lovely granddaughter, Elenora." The familiar name resonates through everyone. The crowd of elderly people erupt with more questions.
"I figured you'd be asking about her once I mentioned her name. I am pleased to tell you she is living her best life out in Sacramento, California. I've only contacted her through video chat but she is indeed a brilliant woman." The group oos and aws.

"One last question and that's it for today." The author points to a man with a cap of a veteran's navy symbol on it. He clutches the frail hand of a man with a similar hat.

"So, I think I'll ask the question that's been on the tip of all of our tongues." The old man chuckles at himself. "Where the hell is that blue diamond today?" The author takes a deep breath in, soaking up the question. "It remains in the minds of the late Dorothy and Louise." Everyone's mouths gape open in shock.

"Alrighty, that's all for today folks. I appreciate you and all that you've done for this country." The author rises to their feet, clutching her well accomplished book to her chest.

Now, all that remains in the Jefferson Market library are the two old men with navy veteran caps. "I'm sorry to bother you but my husband here has so many more questions about your book. We're huge fans of your writings." A man with grey hair and bright blue eyes rests his hand on his husband's shoulder. "And I would love to answer all of your dying questions but unfortunately I have a meeting with my publisher in an hour." The author apologises profusely.

"Of course Miss, I understand. I heard there's a buffet for the veterans so I'll be out there." The man squeezes his husband's hand once before scurrying out of the room. "I was wondering one thing before you left. I promise it won't take too much of your time." The woman nods patiently at the old man with blue eyes.

"Do you know anything about that fella Hartley?" The author shrugs. "Unfortunately, I couldn't get word on what he was doing presently but as far as I was told he was doing well. Joseph spoke highly of Mr. Hansen. They seemed like they were really close." The old man nods softly, looking a bit hesitant in the eyes.

"I bet you they were good pals," remarks the man. "It most certainly seemed like it. I admired the close sibling bond between Hartley and Louise the most. Anyways, whether he's alive or not, I hope he was able to live a full life where he could be himself." The two exchange a comforting look. "After listening to you read your book, I like to believe he did."

"Well, I'll get out of your hair, miss. It was a pleasure to finally meet you in person." The last part catches the author's attention but she shakes it off. Just as the old man with bright blue eyes is about to exit the room, the author stops him.

"Hey, what's your name, sir?"

"Mr. Hartley Hansen, ma'am." The man winks slyly before going off to find his husband. "Well, I'll be damned." The author smiles through foggy tears.

The story finally felt complete. Knowing that everyone who was worthy got their happy ending was enough. Not every story ends this happy, especially the ones that involve wars and past injustice. It's always important to find your lit candle in the seeping darkness. Because in the darkness love will shine through.

Always.

~                     ~                     ~

Chapter posted: 11/11/2021

Hi, so I decided to post the epilogue today. I was going to wait until next week to post it but since today is Veteran's Day, I figure it felt fitting. I can't believe I actually finished this book, I'm feeling relief that I finally finished because it's taken me so long to finish lol. But I'm also a little sad because I've become so attached to all of my characters and their stories. Anyways thanks again for reading my book I really appreciate everyone's comments!