Chapter 43: From Dusk Till Dawn- Joseph's Pov.

If I'm not allowed to return with Louise, then the last thing I could do was see her off. "How the hell are we going to haul two caskets all the way to our troops," inquires Barry.

"Don't worry boys." Beatrice looks between the three of us. "I've already got that covered." The woman nods with a stern expression. An uncomfortable draft settles among us as I silently twiddle my thumbs waiting for Bea to explain.

"Well, we're waiting..." Barry spits out with an impatient tone. "What's your plan ma'am?" I can't help but feel as impatient as my arch enemy.What's her plan? "Do you trust me as much as the others do?" Beatrice grimaces up at Barry. "Do I have a choice?"

"You're seriously making me regret trusting you," scowls Barry looking over at the two empty coffins that lay side by side in a wooden cart. Beatrice gives him an angry mother look. "Respectfully, ma'am." Barry bows down his head.

Two of the most striking raven horses that I've ever laid eyes on stand restlessly waiting to pull us.

"My friend has already punctured tiny holes into the side of the coffins so we are ready to go." I circle the coffins, carefully surveying the wooden death cages. 

"I don't know about this, Mrs. Beatrice." Of course I'm hesitant. I mean this is one of my worst nightmares brought to life.

"Are you claustrophobic Joseph?" Beatrice eyes me concerningly. I am in fact very claustrophobic. 

"No, I'm fine. I'll be fine. I'm good," I stutter nervously.

"Good, because you don't have another option. Face sketches of you and Louise have already been hung up everywhere in this proximity." With tingling apprehension, I comply.

"Let's get this on the road?" Hartley, who's been holding an unconscious Louise, hurries through the back alley of Beatrice's apartment. With my help, we lifted her into the coffin.

Beatrice lifts herself up on the large ledge of the cart looking down at Louise. It almost feels like she's already dead. I can barely look at her right now with her pending condition.

"You're going to be alright Lou Lou! I'll see you soon, I promise," cries Beatrice, squeezing her hand. "Take care of her boy's," But Beatrice's eyes remain on mine. I nod at her slowly knowing she was talking to me alone.

Before I can step up onto the back of the cart, Hartley's arms fly around my neck. I'm taken back by his extreme intimacy.
"Good luck Joseph. Everything will turn up fine. Just watch over yourself for me." His arms are around me a bit longer than I feel comfortable with. "I know, thanks pal. I'll see you soon. Just hang on," I say, awkwardly patting his back. Before Hartley settles himself in front of the reins he says goodbye to Beatrice.

"I guess that confirmed my suspicions." Barry closes the casket door to Louise's. I have to look away to avoid hurling.

"What suspicions?" I gag out. I don't feel good. Maybe we should've thought of a better plan. I mean what if Louise accidentally suffocates or dies from whatever sickness she's caught? I step into the casket. At least there's some cushion for my body.

"My suspicions are that Louise's romantic feelings for you are almost as passionate as the one's her cousin has for you." Then without a chance to respond, the casket closes, locking me in almost complete darkness.

I try to peek through the holes a few times to see where we are but the back of the cart where Louise and I are blocked from view. It's a nice warm spring afternoon but the breeze can hardly be felt in the musky coffin. Is it April still or is it May now? I've been traveling for so long it's like time doesn't exist anymore.