Chapter 8: The firing of Mr. Soulless- Louise's pov

The office was vacant with sound as we anticipated news from Jacob. By the way he walked around the office, I could tell someone was about to get fired. He hasn't fired anyone publicly in quite some time, but the world being as it is now, and people being shipped off to the war to cover it, wouldn't be the wisest decision to fire anyone.

"As many of you observant men have taken notice, there are less of you. Fortunately, that's a good thing since most of them weren't the writers Decker's Post needed." My eyes glance carelessly around at the nervous men. Jack, a young college graduate taps his fingers nervously on his desk. Perhaps he'll be the one to go. He's been late to work for the past month. I've fixed my schedule and I've been arriving at least fifteen minutes earlier to work. Jacob seemed impressed which lifted my confidence from ten to ten thousands.

"I'm afraid one of you will have to go. They're not a good fit for my newspaper company." Jeepers, you'd think he'd at least show a little compassion for the poor soul.

Recently, I've created a new name for Jacob that I say inside my head. Mr. Soulless. It's a pretty fitting name for the kind of man Jacob is. My bets are that the poor soul being fired is Jack Nellison. "Louise!" My head pops up to Jacob's voice.

"It's what's best for my company. Your mother agrees it's unfit for you to be here." My face burns red in embarrassment. It's me. I'm the poor soul getting fired.

"I beg your pardon?" Every man's eyes are on me in shock. I hear whispers swarming around me as I stand up to face Jacob.

"I'm firing you?" Barry's eyes darted from me to Jacob. If Barry could be anyone he'd be an older version of Jacob. Ignoring his smug face I say, "Why are you firing me?" I feel my eyes growing with tears but I refuse to show weakness in front of my coworkers.

"Look, Louise it was never going to work. You're a little girl and now with the country at war it makes my company look weak." He's heartless.

"Don't call me little girl!" I spit out at him. "What can I say?" Jacob pauses as if he's waiting for me to answer. I don't.

"I can offer you a position with Katherine. You can make runs for supplies and make coffee." His voice chirps up as if he's trying to make it sound like a thrilling job. I'd be serving him barely making a couple of dollars a day.  

"Would you rather stay home with your mother? I know to hell and back that she'd love to teach you how to be a proper housewife. Would you rather do that?" I hear a few snickers from around me.

"Would you rather do that?" As I turn to leave, Jacob grabs my wrist. "Wait a second-"

"Go to hell!" I yank my wrist out of his grasp. Before leaving I make sure to grab my pancho which is the only sense of comfort I have to hold on to right now.

How could he just say that? And in front of all those men? It made me feel so small and useless. I bet they all laughed and congratulated Jacob for finally firing me. I'm glad he fired me because working for him wasn't helping me reach my goal. I thought I needed him to reach my dreams but wrong I was.

I'm an eighteen year old, early high school graduate girl. No, woman. I never thought joining the war as a female war correspondent was going to be easy. It's most certainly a challenge indeed.

The most challenging part of all of this is all the rejections and displeased looks.

As I cross the street to take a peaceful walk through Central Park, I spot a familiar face. Well the back of him but I could tell it's him from miles away.

He sits on a wooden park bench looking around nervously with anxious ticks.

"Joseph?" As soon as his innocent yet intimidating eyes lock onto mine I feel butterflies.

I find myself nervous as I join him on the bench. The back of the seat is covered with snow so I don't sit back. "Hey," I signed, friend. He answers with the same sign. I smile to myself glad that the two months apart haven't made us complete strangers.

~

CHAPTER POSTED: 2/14/2021

Hi sorry this is a shorter chapter. What'd you think about Jacob firing Louise like that? Have a good day/night!