Chapter 39: Loopy Love- Joseph's Pov

"Joseph!" Her cries echo through my head. My eyes snap open abruptly. "Louise," I whisper. Her voice vanishes.

Vision blurry at first, I wait a minute before sitting up. My body is sore with burns and bruises but I can walk. "Signore, you need rest, please lay back down."

"Wh-where is she?" My voice cracks from my dry throat. The doctor hands me a cup of water which I gulp down in seconds. "Do you mean the young woman whom you were brought in with?" I assume Louise was with me when I was brought here even though I have zero memory of it.

"Yes, yes where is she?" I croak. "Calm down boy, I'm sure she's fine. Louisa was sent with Maria down to the hospital. Her whole arm was pretty bloodied up from when she went into the fire to find you." She did what now?

"Is she alright? Can I see her?" I try to stand up on shaky legs but am pushed back down by the doctor.

"We don't know about her health but we do know about yours. If you leave now your injuries could increase," he tells me.

All of a sudden a sharp needle is inserted into my arm instantly making me feel drowsy.

"Wha- what was that you gave me?" My words slur as I begin to feel the world swirl beneath me.

"Medicine that will help you feel much better. Get some rest and I'll have someone check on your friend." With no choice I nod, collapsing back down on my cot.

It has to be hours later when I awake. My body feels stiff and hot as I rotate my head away from the sun.

"Just tell me he's fine." I hear a familiar voice. I sit up slowly feeling the after effects of the shot I was given.

"Joseph!" Louise gasps as she runs over to me. Just as I get to my feet Louise's arms fly around my neck.

"Ouch!" I laugh out of the unseeable burns on my body. "Oh my god!" She whispered, stepping back a bit. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to hurt you." Her eyes show worry as she examines my body.

"New York's hot summer sun is no comparison to that fire. I'm definitely staying inside this summer." I joke trying to lighten the mood. She bursts out laughing but still looking out of place afterwards.

"Are you okay?" She asks with glistening eyes.

"Never better. That shot the doctor gave me makes me feel like I could run miles. If you're okay we should definitely do it! Or whenever we find the time. We'd certainly get to Milan quicker." I smile down at her. I don't know why I feel all this confidence today but I do.

"Hang in there with him today, the shot I gave Joseph will certainly make him chipper than you're used to." The doctor informs Louise.

"So I'm going to have to deal with a child today?" A smile plays on Louise's thin lips. Lips I wish would kiss me again.

"Joseph!" Snaps Louise. "Are you even paying attention to me?" Frowns Louise. I nod at her gazing into her vibrant, big eyes.

"Will you stop looking at me like that? I'm trying to tell you our plan for today," pouts Louise as she leads us out of the infirmary tent.

"I'm sorry you look exceptionally beautiful today." I switched back to English. She stops to look at me. "You are such an idiot." She shakes her head with a small smile. "Only when it comes to writing and I know for sure that you're the best writer I've ever met." I slide my hand into hers which she immediately takes out of mine.

"Friends remember." Louise doesn't look at me. I frown as I take in the unfiltered air. The air feels smoaky and dirty after Genoa's attack last night. I wonder who attacked us. Perhaps America's allies.