Chapter 19: The Waiting Game- Joseph's Pov

The waiting game was killing me. How could I earn the Colonel's trust when the main reason I was imprisoned was because of my ethnicity?

To free my family of the false claims, I had to leave Louise alone. The colonel didn't specifically state it out to me but I read between the lines. As much as it pains me to do so it's what needs to be done. I need the Colonel to trust me so he can give me my important duty. After I complete whatever the hell he wants me to do I can set myself and my family free.

Much earlier the next morning I'm sent across the camp to the pharmacy. Colonel Decker expects me to pick up some roll-ups for some of the soldiers. I'm under strict orders to not smoke any. I have no liking for them anyways.

On the way back to the main office I stop by the classroom. It's vacant of students which means there will be no class today. I don't enjoy teaching men English. A few don't care for it so don't trouble themselves in listening.

Stepping up to the chalkboard I pick up a piece of chalk. Closing my eyes I picture the outside of the hospital wing where the pharmacy is located. Its framed edges gave me inspiration for a similar hospital.

Gradually opening my eyes I begin my drawing. My eyes concentrate on the entrance which I have a complicated time with. I can't decide what sort of doors I want to add.

"You are a talented man!" I hear a familiar voice echo from behind me. Twisting back I discover that the familiar voice belongs to my Hartley.

"I'm sorry, I'll erase it." I mumble, reaching for the chalkboard eraser.

"No, don't! It's spectacular Capurso." I end up erasing my hard work illustration anyways. It's conceivably my worst one yet. It's been a while since I've drawn anything so I'm out of practice.

"If you're done here I was thinking you could join me for a drink?" Doesn't he understand I'm a prisoner? I'm not here by choice. If I were I would gladly join him for a drink.

"I won't tell the Colonel if you won't." He stands with a slouched posture. I've only ever had wine before, so I just shrug. How much more trouble can I get myself into?

"So how long have you known my cousin?" He asks on the way out. I notice his sandy blonde hair is combed back neatly. Hartley is a rather short guy so I tower over him in height. He doesn't appear to be much of a drinker.

"We met a few months ago." I follow him into a room with two cots and two wardrobes. It appears to be his sleeping quarters.

"Do you just keep bottles of beer lying around?" My words question him as he crouches down reaching under his cot.

Hartley slides out a wooden crate with a few bottles of beer and a pile of colorful books. They have a picture of a man in a red, white and blue suit.

The man has a round shield with a great big white star in the middle.

Hartley looks up, catching my interest in the multicolored book.

"Have you never heard of Captain America?" He holds the book up at me. "I'm afraid not. I don't read many books," I confess.

"This is the newest issue. He's a new superhero actually. Wanna take a look at it?" He raises himself up to my level. "I'm fine." I nod quietly.

"So do you like her?" He raises a question, popping off the cap of our beers. "Who?" I know who. "The first lady of the United States." Hartley raises his eyebrows in an animated way.

"She seems like a swell woman. I mean I support her more than our president. Mrs.Roosevelt did advocate for women in the workplace-" I hear Hartley's light chuckles.

"I meant my cousin, you knucklehead." He laughs out at me.

"Oh, I guess she's nice." I look down at the dark liquid in my clear bottle. What am I supposed to say to the cousin of the woman I have feelings for?

"You know, " Hartly sits down on his cot. I do the same.

"I see why Louise has taken a liking in you. You're a feminist." My head tilts at the mention of the strange word. He shakes his head not interested in explaining its definition.

"I think she's generous." I answer. "Just generous?" He chugs half of his beer. I watch in disgust. Just the smell of it makes me feel nauseous.

"She's incredibly smart." I add awkwardly. The smartest person I know.

"Outsmarted me in everything when we were younger." He laughs.

"Do you have any knowledge on why I'm here Hartley?" I terminate that conversation.

Hartley hesitates before setting down his bottle on the floor by his feet.

"I have insufficient knowledge of it. My grandfather refuses to tell me anything." He watches me carefully as if trying to decide if I really know myself.

I immediately take my first sip, feeling sick. The dark liquid burns in my throat as I force myself to swallow.

Refusing to take another sip of the bitter drink, I set it by my own feet.

"Not your thing?" His words sound a little heavy and dragged out. Hartley is almost halfway done with his glass. Impressive for a man I thought wasn't much of a drinker. I've only taken a sip and don't long for another swig.

"Look, it's late I think I should retire for the night." I begin to stand up when he abruptly stands with me. An unsettling feeling enters the room but I decide it's my exhaustion.

"Let me escort you back to your barrak." I shake my head.

"I'm fine but thank you for the drink." I say before turning to leave.

He seems too kind to be a soldier in this war. Maybe that's why he's bonded so well with me. I do admit we have several things in common but Hartley Hansen was not the man I'd want to be friends with. Not in the circumstance where his grandfather has imprisoned me and all of the Italians.

I ended up not going to dinner that night. Luckily I haven't seen Louise all day which makes staying away from her easier.

My shift isn't until Friday so I go outside and watch a few men kick a ball around the dead grass. The snow finally melted which made me feel a bit sadder. It just makes my prison sentence feel longer.

I wonder what pa is doing to stay awake right now. If we were home he'd either be arguing with ma or at the bar getting wasted with his pals. It feels almost lonier without his rough voice screaming insults at me.

How is George's life without me in it? Is he safe with ma? Is he doing well in school and did he ever ask out Betty, the girl he was crushing on?

I just hope that I can see his stupid, boyish face soon.

~             ~            ~

Chapter posted: 4/23/2021

Sorry for the shorter chapter. What do y'all think of Harley's character?

Until next time. . .