Chapter 32: Homesick- Louise's Pov

After a little over a month Joseph had been reunited with some of his family. As I watched his grandparents wrap their frail arms around Joseph's equally small frame, I noticed something different about his face. The long, tired and frightened boy I've gotten to know these past few months has a new mask. No, not a mask. His mask has been shredded and now lets his true colors show.

He's home where he belongs. Joseph has his grandparents and his childhood crush here. If only he had the rest of his family here with him then he'd be truly happy. As Elenora, Joseph and his grandparents begin conversing at what his life has been like in America, I begin to feel homesick.

Not longing for my old life where I felt trapped, but my life where I had Ruby, Bea, my friends and maybe even my mother. I miss her snarkiness around the penthouse. Maybe Joseph was right, she does care about me, her way is just a bit overwhelming.

I find myself sneaking out of the house, to the porch. It's a small porch that overlooks Truin. We sure climbed a long way up but it makes it worth it since the view from above is stunning.

I find a painted white swing on the porch and sit. My emotions are all over the place right now. I need to cry but the tears won't come. It's better that I don't show weakness around these kind people since they're about to find out who my grandfather is and what he's done to their family. It's not my fault but it feels like it.

When I get all in my head like this I tend to run away from my problems. Such as now, I just want to leave and go find Beatrice on my own. I'm too much of a burden to Joseph and his family and maybe the only reason I'm helping Joseph is because I feel bad for what's happened.

"Hey," Joseph pops his head out the door. He smiles innocently down at me, like the same smile when he first kissed me. "Hey you," I brighten up my smile concealing the pain behind my eyes.

"Are you okay? You kind of just disappeared back there." Joseph inches his way out of the house, closing the door behind him. "I didn't want to get in your way of your family reunion." Joseph sits down close next to me. "You weren't in the way. I wanted to introduce you to them." I quickly stood up. Joseph watches me as he notices something off with me. I'm too obvious when trying to avoid anything highly romantic with him. It'd be a lot easier for the both of us if he just gave up.

"Then let's not waste another second." I answered hastily. Joseph opens the door without question and follows me inside the cold house.

I anxiously walk over to them with sweat forming on my palms. They look me up and down, already judging me. "Nonno, nonna this is my good friend Louise Decker."

"It's nice to meet you. Joseph has told me some about you both." I smile nervously before shaking their hands. "Tutto bene, spero." His short and plump grandfather says in Italian. All good, I hope. That's what I believe he said. Nevertheless, Joseph translated for me.

"Si signore," I answer with a trace of confidence. Joseph's grandfather then pulls me into a tight, boney hug. His grandmother watches me with scary eyes. I can tell by her look that she already doesn't like me. Joseph must've told them everything while I was outside.

"You know Italian? Have you been teaching her Joseph?" Elenora questions him. "No, my maid is Italian and has taught me some. I'm still a bit new at the language," I explained.

"You have a maid? So you're rich?" Gasps Elenora. "Ellie, not the time," Scowls Joseph. "Sorry, sorry, Joseph just mentioned that you were also here for a family member, may she be your maid?" I nod, still feeling uncomfortable with his nonna's stare. It makes me seem like a spoiled brat when I talk about having a maid and caring about her more than what she is.