7 - Weeds

Monty's solution was to avoid his father by traveling. He developed an itinerary to visit several countries, including Thailand, Vietnam, and Malaysia.

When his mother heard his plans, she implored him to postpone for two weeks.

"I'd like for you to attend the foundation event."

He could happily skip another boring black-tie evening. He had a love/hate relationship with the foundation. He felt selfish to resent all the charitable work achieved because of his mother's efforts. Growing up, he had been forced to compete with the charity for his mother's attention. He never doubted his mother loved him, but suspected she loved her foundation more.

Because he loved his mother, he agreed. Gray wouldn't care. He had been cozying up with a woman he met in Whole Foods. Based on his pattern, he'd be ready to get out of town when Monty completed his family obligations.

There would be no kryptonite at the event, and by staying in town longer, he could attend one of his favorite annual events. The amateur art displayed at the gallery was remarkable and sold for a steal compared to overrated artists. It was his type of event - view some art, sip from a flute, buy something for his walls, and help a good cause. The thing he liked most was he wasn't required to stay long.

He rounded the corner, having viewed the art, and froze. He hadn't expected to see her. She looked upset as he instinctively stepped forward and caught her in his arms. When she turned into him, seeking comfort, he felt his heart explode. Deflecting the pain coursing through him, he turned on his fake charm.

"Hi luscious." He whispered, torturing himself with her scent as his nose touched her hair near her ear. A sob escaped from within her. "Hey, what's wrong?" He reached up and wiped away her tears.

She shook her head. "I just need to go."

"I was going outside. Come on." Monty supported her. "Do you want to talk about it?"

She refused, so he walked her to her waiting car, parked in front of his own. Gray's enormous figure stood on the sidewalk. As Monty helped her into the car, Gray said, "Is everything alright, Mr. Whitby?"

"It's fine, Gray."

He stepped back from the curb and took out his vape pen. Gray joined him.

"What was that about?"

"I don't know. She was upset about something."

"So you rescued her, Superman."

"Shut up!"

"Ice queen alert." As Trey and Jessica approached, Gray whispered, "Are you ready to go or do you want to go back in to get a blow in the restroom."

Monty's glare at Gray morphed into a smile. "Good evening, Trey, Jessica."

"Hi Monty." Trey greeted him with a smile.

"Are you going inside?" Jessica eyed him.

He shook his head. "Been already. Enjoy."

Jessica looked back at him and swiped her tongue across her lips.

Gray mumbled through his teeth. "Yup, she wants to meet you in..."

"Shut up. I feel sorry for Trey, even if he gets those lips every day."

He highly doubted Jessica did anything for Trey, except give him a headache and spend his money.

After Saturday night, he would be out of the country for three weeks, so Jessica could find a new fool.

As he straightened his tie using the mirror on the wall of his bedroom, Gray leaned against the doorjamb. He had been quiet all day.