18 - Trust

Sofia touched her lips quickly to Monty's huge friend's cheek. She expected him to be ripe with sweat. Surprised, she said, "You smell good."

Monty had said women loved him, and she understood why.

"What about me?"

Monty had a cute pout. "You do too. I expected it, because you're in a tux and didn't scare the bad guy away."

Monty hadn't even loosened his tie. He looked very handsome and emitted some heady pheromones himself. The testosterone must ooze with the two of them living under one roof.

In only a matter of minutes, she knew Gray was not like Julio. The rapport between employer and employee was different. The two men had a genuine friendship. Sofia wanted to know everything, starting with how they met.

"You two look like the odd couple. How did you meet?"

Monty laughed and shook his head. "That's need to know. Although he gets paid to drive me around and stop blackmailers, he's my friend. There are no pompous formalities like with my father's staff."

Feeling guilty, she shifted her feet. "I owe you for the rescue."

"No. You don't. I offered and wouldn't let you refuse. I'll feel better after Gray pays the guy another visit."

To argue would be futile. She looked around the room beyond the kitchen. In addition to the large sectional 'L' shaped sofa, there was a huge TV on the wall. Everything else was unique, including pottery and art. Hanging on the wall was a colorful design which looked like a Mola. They were not exclusive to Colombia, but they came from the region.

She pointed to the framed bright fabric applicaid design. "Where did you get that?"

Monty smiled. "A small village in Panama, not Colombia. I have a sombrero from your homeland."

"Where else have you traveled?"

"Everywhere except Antartica, the moon, and North Korea."

"Really!"

He smiled and laughed. "No. Every continent, but not every country. I like to explore away from large cities."

"You're lucky. Other than one trip to Colombia when I was fourteen, I haven't traveled anywhere. I may never, especially now."

"Why now?" Gray asked.

"I don't have a job. Even before the jerk blackmailed me, I was told I'd never make it as a model. I need to grow up and find a real job."

Both men laughed. "People have been telling me I need to do that for years."

"I want to work. I just don't know what I'd be good at doing."

"Find something you love to do."

Sofia looked at the man who looked less triste in his own home. "What do you love?"

"Traveling."

"That's not a job."

"Tell that to my father." Monty frowned and turned to Gray. "I have to report to the old man on the second."

Sofia said, "I get the impression you aren't close."

Monty laughed. "The man only wants an heir, not a son."

"Family means everything to me." She loved her close knit family. Her parents worked hard but always had time for their daughters. "No wonder you're triste."

Gray sat up. "Triste?"

"Sad. Your friend is very sad. I call him Triste Monty."

The large man laughed. Monty glared at him. She walked around the room, taking in the unique art. A lot of it had Asian influences.