43 - El esposo

Sofia didn't know how they could convince others she was happy. Her parents would believe her, only if Rosa supported her. Maybe Julio could help her. She didn't want to think about all the people in the ballroom who would never like her. Katie and Sam might, but the rest never would.

She loved Gray differently, like she loved Julio. She tried to imagine a tiny baby in his arms, then she thought of one in Monty's arms. What would it feel like to have a life moving inside of her? She used to feel Lina kick inside of Rosa. She missed Lina, but was afraid to go see her sister. Everything had changed when Monty told her he loved her.

She scowled when her phone rang. She couldn't avoid her any longer. "Hi Rosa."

"Sofia, are you home?"

"Si. Last night."

"Where were you?"

"I told you, working. How are you? What's new?"

"Nothing, except Sage is mad at Miss. Bea. Sage wants to gossip, but Bea refuses. She likes that drunk."

"I told you. He isn't a drunk."

Rosa laughed. "You still have a crush on him."

"No, I don't. Not a crush."

"Whatever. Lina misses you."

"Is Miss. Bea home today?"

"She is. I have work to do. She's having guests. Lina is at home with Julio."

"I'll try to stop by. I wanted to talk to Bea about something."

"She likes you."

"I like her too." She respected the older woman and trusted her. Monty trusted her. "I'll be over later."

The kiss Monty gave her as he left would have to last the whole day. She missed him the moment the kitchen was empty.

Gray asked, "Do you need a bodyguard?"

"No. I hope not. Do I wear these?"

Gray frowned. "If you agreed to accept them, Monty would be disappointed if you hid them."

She knew it was true. Her happily ever after depended on being with her husband. It was her job to support him, just as he would support her. The first step was to acknowledge his existence.

She took her time getting ready for her day. Instead of her favorite jeans, she dressed like Monty Whitby's wife should. When she went to the garage, her car was gone. She returned to the condo and Gray stood in the kitchen dangling keys.

"Monty kept me busy while you were romping in the sun."

"Where is my car?"

"It was unsafe. I parked your car in your spot. Here are your keys."

A shiny new car replaced her clunker. She had thought someone took her space by mistake. It was an Audi and when she sat inside the new car smelled filled her nose. She had never had a new car before. The leather seats were soft, and the dash looked complicated. She texted Gray, asking how to drive.

He appeared. "Do you want me to drive you?"

"No, just show me what all of this does."

By the time she reached Weston, it was late morning. Julio was in the apartment with Lina, but she sat in her car. Her stomach churned with nerves. She wanted to talk to Bea. Would she come to the apartment? Sofia didn't want Rosa to overhead her. The garden. Bea had called her to babysit, so she had her number. She sent her a text.

Sofia set out for the fountain. She thought of the times she met Monty there. Had Bea forced them together?

She heard footsteps as she stared at the frozen fountain. "I hope you don't need another wish."