28 - Birthday

In the weeks which followed, both Monty and Gray recovered from their illness. Once they felt strong enough to workout, they built back their muscle which had disappeared rapidly.

When Sofia came back from a trip across Texas, she noticed the change. By the time Monty donned his tuxedo again to celebrate Tommy's return with a wife and baby, he felt like himself. Poor Tori. At least, she had a date. Monty had a dance with Jessica and Bea, who fussed over him. Once again, he was too late on his plan to reach out to a Hayes brother.

Bea insisted on a dance. "I knew they were all wrong about you." He responded by dipping her. "If you had dropped me..."

Monty laughed, as Bea winked.

The return of the last Hayes brother was exciting, but Monty's birthday was approaching. His father had scheduled a board meeting on the day, and he would have a place at the table.

The old man summoned him early. As always, his father kept him waiting. Once again she appeared. Her smile might be the only present he would enjoy.

"Happy birthday!"

"You remembered?"

"Why would I forget?" She looked towards Montgomery's office. "Not how you should spend your special day."

"I saw you so my day is made."

"Stop with the sweet talk. I'm planning my wedding."

"Isn't Bea and your mother doing the planning."

"Mostly. I would be happy to elope."

He laughed. "I don't see you standing in front of Elvis."

"Definitely not. I'd love to chat more, but I have to run. You look good. I'm glad you're treating yourself better."

She kissed his cheek, and it didn't unhinge him. He found himself comparing her to Sofia. He thought about his dark-eyed friend a lot more than he should. He felt regret she was away and couldn't celebrate his birthday with him.

When Montgomery was ready, he walked him to an empty office. "I expect you here when you aren't traveling for me."

Monty scanned the room. A businessman would get hard at the prospect of the large desk and windows overlooking the city. It looked like a cell to Monty who could never stay still. It had all the perks, including a private restroom complete with a shower.

"Some people have smaller apartments. What do you expect me to do?"

"Learn the business. Tasks I assign. Grow up and be a man."

Arguing with the old man was pointless. He could ask what would happen if he didn't show up, but he'd been threatened with ultimatums before. It went from loss of inheritance to forced rehab, but the latest threat was an arranged marriage. How old Montgomery thought he could pull that off had yet to be seen.

He pointed to the sofa. "Do I get a secretary to join me on this, or is that perk only for you?"

He watched the anger spread across the old man's face like a cartoon he expected steam to come out his ears.

"I'll say it one more time. Grow up!"

The board meeting was boring. He sat at the table and said nothing. He tried not to smirk, but the fallout from the data breach was expanding. It appeared as if legal trouble would haunt his father for sometime. Maybe he'd be too busy to worry about what Monty was doing.

The talk turned to acquiring a mid-sized department store in Northern New England. He looked up when he heard his name.

"Monty will go. We need to know more first."