29 - Back roads

A/N I tried hard not to write details about countries I've never been to. I make up for it here.

They spent the summer cycling on the back roads of New England. They traveled from Burlington, VT, to the quaint village of Stowe with a five-mile bike path through the village and farmland. They continued on through to Waterbury for ice cream at the Ben & Jerry's factory. Then they traveled south and west again through beautiful scenic roads to rival the ones fed virtually onto the scene on his bike at home. Along the way there were stops in Rutland and other small cities to visit the store his father had sent him to see. After almost a week in Vermont, they moved east to New Hampshire and traveled by car from Lebanon through the White Mountains and Franconia Notch to North Conway, where they cycle south through the lakes regions of Ossipee and Winnipesaukee. They could have easily kept riding into western Maine, but instead they drove south on Interstate 93 and stopped in Concord, Manchester and Nashua, before returning to Brookline.

Sofia was waiting for them at the condo. Having someone to welcome him home felt good. Monty tried not to dissect if it was someone or Sofia who felt so good. He arrived home in time for the gallery event. He watched as his old friend arrived with a group of women. Why was he never invited? He overheard Sage talk about dinner.

"Trista raved about it. I was lucky to get the reservation."

He would have loved to be included, to watch as Sage compared his comments for herself. Maybe he should invite her out sometime. Sloane was beautiful, and he was proud of himself for surviving her kiss on the cheek. The talk all summer was Tommy returning to Boston to work for Sloane, her November wedding, and Mia's pregnancy. Monty left shortly after the group arrived and joined Gray at a restaurant down the block.

Sitting at a table with another woman was Jessica. She waved him over, and as she introduced him it was obvious, she was trying to impress her colleague. It felt odd because he was not a name people bragged about knowing.

"Join us for a drink."

"I'm having dinner with a friend."

Jessica laughed when she saw Gray waiting alone at a nearby table. "Your bodyguard. The man is scary."

"He's my friend, and he's a pussycat. Ladies love him."

She raised her eyebrows and hummed. "I can imagine why."

"Enjoy your evening. It was very nice to meet you." He had already forgotten the woman's name.

He was enjoying his crab cake appetizer when the women left, presumably for the gallery.

Gray teased. "Did you want to use the car? I parked legally tonight."

"I haven't since Christmas. I haven't been tempted."

Gray laughed. "I know whose lips you want on your body."

"What are you talking about?"

"You hide it, but she's an open book. She likes you."

"No, she does not."

"Just keep telling yourself that. Kryptonite is your past, but if you hurt our girl, I'll personally mess up your pretty rich boy face."

"I'm not. I won't."

Did he want to? Hell yes!

The only part he didn't like about being home was the office. He strolled in after ten and completed his assigned work in an hour or so. Then he worked on his book. He was doing final edits on every section except for Australia and Africa. Their illness made him rethink how to present his last chapter. The food at camp was not traditional, but he had planned a detailed review of the safari experience. He couldn't blame the camp on his illness, but he recommended being careful. Even the most luxurious camp was not a complete luxury. While out on safari, bugs bit and the sun was hot. He wrote about a realistic experience, but omitted his illness, mainly because he didn't want his identity traced. There were American's there who could easily make a connection.

After another board meeting in which the talk was about the lawsuits, they set out for Maine. They traveled north up U.S. Route One, the coastal route. Using Portland as a base, they traveled west and further north. He could write an entire book of reviews on Portland restaurants. It was a foodie's dream. Every night they walked from their hotel in the Old Port to a restaurant. They had Italian, seafood, French, which rivaled the restaurant he reviewed in Boston.

The large state required them to drive to the store locations, but they cycled every morning on the path that started near their hotel, past a beach and under the highway, around a tidal basin and back. If he didn't live in Boston, he could live in Portland.

When they returned home, he went to the office every day from about ten to three. He hoped his father would give him a list that Sofia could handle. In the meantime, he bought another high-tech bike for his office. He worked out on his old man's time, who spent his days in meetings with the lawyers. Including, he discovered, Jessica Hayes. Finally, in September, he received another list.

He cooked for Sofia the night before she left. He sat in on the negotiations for the store chain and found it fascinating. At his age, his father probably would have had a boner the entire time. He wondered if the old man could still get it up and who the unlucky women were.

Gray left after dinner, leaving him alone with Sofia. His friend had met a woman at breakfast in their Portland hotel. She had been on vacation from Boston. Monty predicted two more weeks before Gray ended it.

He said as much to Sofia. "Why? Why are neither of you interested in a relationship?"

"Baggage. History. Gray has his. I have mine."

"I know yours, but what's his? The war?"

Monty shrugged. It took his friend almost five years to tell him about losing his love. He couldn't tell anyone, not even Sofia. "Why? Do you want him to want you?"

"I'm not interested in him. He's a good friend though."

A question was on the tip of his tongue. Instead, he said, "He thinks of you as a friend. He's protective of you."

"Unlike someone I know, I can get over a broken heart."

Monty put his hands in the air. "I'm over it. I'm over her."

"Good your wife will be glad not to compete."

"My wife?"

"I overheard your father again. He told Mr. Petersen that he had found a suitable wife. Miss. Bea spoke out. I've never heard her so angry. She was adamant you could choose your own wife, but you aren't even looking."

"I don't know anything about my father's mystery woman. Maybe he thinks Tori, since Tommy is no longer available. I'm only friends with her."

"I'll be sorry when it happens."

"When what happens?"

"Your marriage. I like staying here and hanging out with you, both of you. I would probably be hired to care for your baby at parties."

He frowned. He wanted a family, but it felt out of reach. "Nothing will change."

He thought of Trey and Jessica's marriage. Would he end up like them? Maybe Sofia could make him happy when his wife couldn't. He was no better than his father.