23 - Naughty child

Monty and Gray returned from Colombia to an empty apartment. He felt disappointed. It was nice to come home to a smile and a welcome home.

He went directly to his room to wash the plane off him. As he unlocked his door, he felt guilty. He trusted Sofia, but he guarded his secret. He and Gray had already discussed no longer bringing her out to eat with them when he was working. He didn't think she would put it together, because everyone thought Trista was a woman. Bea would be more likely to be suspected.

When he walked down the stairs feeling fresh, he heard voices and smiled. Sofia jumped when he rounded the corner.

He looked from her to Gray. His was the same face he had traveled with, but hers was a sight for sore eyes. As they wandered around her country, he thought of her. He measured every young woman against Sofia.

In his kitchen with groceries bags on the counter, both of his friends looked too serious. He hadn't done anything to cause their scrutiny.

"What's going on?"

Gray gave Sofia a look, a warning. If Gray was protecting him, he had a reason, or at least thought he did. Instead of forcing it, he shrugged, and both relaxed their muscles.

Sofia smiled and stepped towards him. "Glad you're back." Her wonderful scent tickled his nose as she leaned in to kiss his cheek. She placed her warm fingers on his cheeks. "Soft."

It had been too warm for a beard in South America. He had lathered his face after his shower without much thought.

"Don't you like the beard?" Did her opinion matter.

She shrugged. "You always look good. Your wife's opinion will matter more than mine."

"What wife?" He looked around. "Did I wake in an alternate reality?"

She shook her head. "I overheard your father. He sounded very sure. He also complained you do nothing. I wanted to remind him of all the places I've been."

Monty wanted to laugh, because her argument would prove his old man's point. "I'm not planning to marry anytime soon."

Gray and Sofia exchanged a look again. It dawned on him what they knew. Sofia interrupted.

"He said, he would cut you off."

Monty laughed louder than he expected. "He's delusional. I have my own money. As for your secret, I haven't been on Mars. The grapevine runs through cellular towers these days. I know."

Gray looked at him with disbelief. "You know?"

He looked put out. Monty kept the news of Sloane's engagement to himself. Ever since Gray told him about Beth, he avoided bitching about his broken heart.

"It wasn't a complete surprise. Maybe the speed. After I heard, we rode fifty miles, and I listened to the big guy complain about everything, the heat, the hills. I couldn't cry with all your whining."

"Where were you? Someplace warm? You both look tan."

"My family has a house in the Caribbean."

It was true, but didn't explain where they had been. When the book came out, it would be too easy for Sofia to piece together his secret. He felt awkward about having been to the country of her family. It was not a coincidence. Another old movie, at the place the weak boy had been banished, was Romancing The Stone. It was the first time he heard of Cartagena. He liked the sound of it on his tongue.

He and Gray planned to visit a Colombian restaurant in East Boston without Sofia. Monty was keen to try seafood ceviche in the states. The cold dish was perfect on warm evenings, although March wasn't warm in Boston.