45 - Magical

Sofia smiled at Monty after he whispered in her ear. Her gaze shifted with his. She held her breath and felt her pulse race as the impeccably dressed woman started across the room. Monty's grip on her waist tightened. It was hard to tell if her husband's mother was smiling.

Celia said, "She's beautiful."

"Mother, meet my wife, Sofia."

She smiled. "A pleasure, Mrs. Whitby."

"Celia, please. Don't worry, I only want my son to be happy. I am not his father."

The woman looked as if she had a sour taste in her mouth. Sofia never wanted to feel any other way than she felt in that moment for Monty. Without thinking, she blurted out. "I love my husband, did you ever love yours?"

Monty chuckled beside her as his mother frowned. "He never looked at me like this." She waved her hand at the two of them. "Welcome to the family. I would be pleased with some grandchildren and not an only child."

Monty said, "No Montgomery."

Celia nodded. "I'll go see my friend, Bea, and thank her for looking out for my son."

Sofia let out a breath and Monty kissed her ear again. "That went well."

"Did it?"

He nodded, just as Bea announced dinner was served. Sofia saw Rosa with Julio and her parents. Who served dinner?

They had set the food out as a buffet. Although the dining room table was large, it certainly couldn't seat all the guests who numbered over twenty-five. The Petersen's and Mrs. Whitby were the only ones of their generation, not including Sofia's parents, who were younger. Sofia saw a glimpse of catering staff and wondered how long Bea had been planning.

Gray looked more relaxed after speaking to Katie's husband as Monty coaxed him toward the food. Sofia listened to them discuss whether a dish had goat cheese, and she smiled because only she knew how much they loved food.

She heard a voice behind her and instantly felt her face get hotter. She didn't like the attention.

A male voice said, "You love him."

Turning, she faced a very pregnant Samantha with Trey Hayes. She hadn't met him but knew he had helped Monty, even though he thought false things about him. She nodded, wishing Monty were by her side, but he and Gray had already filled their plates.

"I tried to help him, but he pushed me away. It's been years since I've seen him so happy."

Sam said, "Trey and I are happy for you."

Gray called to her. "Sofe, come sit by us. He'll feed you."

She felt like a tomato, but Monty often offered her bites of food and explained the seasonings. He tasted food like some people tasted wine.

She felt hotter in her cheeks, as she heard laughter from others around them. She put a portion of salad with greens she didn't know the names of and some chicken in a sauce on her plate.

When he sat next to Monty, he instantly put his arm behind her chair and caressed her shoulder.

He whispered, "I thought you might disappear outside." She shook her head. He smiled. "The marsala is good."

"What are all these?"

"That's arugula and spinach and..."

"Endive."

Rosa sat down next to Sofia and Monty smiled at her as he added, "Those are sorrel."

Rosa said, "I'm impressed."

Sofia sat up. "He's a great cook. He knows a lot about food."

Monty said, "We'd love for you and Julio and Lina to come to dinner. I'll cook for you."

Rosa looked from Monty to Sofia, who nodded. Other than her and his agent, Monty never had guests. He opened his heart to her and would soon open his home to her family.

Monty stood and shook the hand of Oliver Sumner. "I'm just stopping in for a moment. Emma is home with Daphne." His face lit up at the mention of his baby girl. "I'm very happy for you, my friend. You deserve it too."

"Thanks, Oliver."

The two men exchanged some back slaps and Oliver took Sofia's hand. "We'll have you over to get to know you better. Emma insists."

Sofia smiled as Monty put his arm around her once more.

After dinner, Bea insisted they dance. Sofia wasn't in a gown, but none of the ladies were. Before they made it to the dance floor, Samantha hugged her.

"I'm too tired and Trey's mother is with Quinn."

Trey stuck out his hand. "Monty, you made a perfect choice. You'll come meet my daughter and sons after they arrive."

"I'd like that, but do you trust me?"

Trey looked him in the eye. "I do. Do you remember the day Ted and I came out of the woods?"

He nodded. "It changed my life."

"I remember how lonely you looked. I've been that lonely. We both had been dealt some shitty hands, but our luck has changed."

"I think you're right."

Monty tightened his grip on her waist and kissed her head, just as Bea's voice filled the room.

"My dear friends. It is time to toast the happy couple. Take a glass." Catering staff carried trays of champagne glasses. Sofia watched as Gray declined a glass. Bea continued. "I could say that fate and fountain brought my dear Monty and sweet Sofia together, but fate had a partner. I recognized Sofia had all the qualities Monty needed and started scheming. It is true they both wished for true love in my fountain, but only after I told them to and made sure they made their wishes together." The room filled with laughter. "The rumor is one of them hit a fish." Again laughter and mumbles filled the room. Bea raised her glass. "To Monty and Sofia, may they live happily ever after."

Glasses clinked and Monty smiled. His voice cracked. "Thank you all for accepting my wife. I hope her family will learn to like me. Many of you have thought things about me that weren't true, like where I went when I left this room. For over a year, I left to see Sofia."

Bea said, "I noticed."

The room laughed as Monty pulled her into his arms. "Finally! I'm dancing with you in this room. A dream come true for both of us."

As the song ended, Monty said, "We need to make a wish."

"Another one."

He smiled. "So Bea's toast comes true. Maybe for my mother's request too."

Sofia shook her head. "Is Trista ready for babies?"

"She may focus on the States for a while. She has enough of New England for one book if she takes some weekend getaways."

"Won't you and Gray miss your adventures?"

"Baby, you are my adventure."

"Pinch me."

"This is real, Sofia Whitby."

Together they walked through the chilly night air to the fountain. Sofia believed in magic, and Monty deserved a magical life.