42 - Wife

One week they spent alone in the sun. It wasn't a complete vacation. He always had work to do, but the hours spent on his laptop seemed shorter with Sofia nearby, and she was a better proofreader than Gray. Nagging at him was the problem of his alter identity. How could he win favor with Sofia's sister and keep it a secret? He considered telling her, but he couldn't risk it. The success of Trista was her anonymity. Restaurants would pamper him when he arrived. He liked being just another customer. None of the restaurants knew he visited more than once as just another nameless diner among many.

Could he convince her family he was worthy because of his position on the Whitby board and the work he and Sofia had done for the company? They didn't need to like him, just accept him. Rosa was key. Since their arrival on the island, the two sisters had only texted and not spoken.

Meanwhile, he had spoken to his mother. She wanted to know if it was true and asked why his marriage was a secret. To protect Sofia from his father was the answer.

Celia said, "Your father is upset."

"I don't care."

"You are supposed to be at work."

He said, "I'm working. I'm visiting locations he wanted me to see." He lied, but they hadn't submitted Sofia's reports. He liked to go to the office while Sofia was traveling and stay home while she was home. The old man didn't micromanage and never paid attention to what happened between when he gave him a list and the report appeared.

"I'll be home in a few days."

"And your wife?"

"Is beautiful. She loves me."

His mother asked, "Does she know you?"

Monty chuckled. "Better than you."

"When will I meet her?"

"Honestly, I don't know. She knows about my childhood." Consider her warned.

Sofia had persisted until Monty shared his memories of childhood. He talked a lot about the other kids and his joy of being a part of the group.

He confided. "Some of them like me. Trey did until my father screwed things up."

"Samantha said he likes you. She said you, Trey and Tori were an odd club." It was true he always gravitated to them. "People care about you. If they know you aren't a drunk, it will change their opinions. You can tell one truth without telling anyone about Trista."

"You believe in me."

"I see all the good in you. My heart feels all the pain you've endured."

How did he get so lucky?

On their last night before they had to face the real world, Monty cooked dinner for her. He made the lemon chicken he loved as a child with risotto. They shared every meal on the deck, and he never wanted to leave. It was still cold and snowy at home. More importantly, they were isolated from all the crap that went with his life.

The sun was dipping when he walked her onto the beach. Her face was more beautiful than ever. Her skin was darker and her espresso eyes expressed her contentment. He wanted to make her happy forever. He never wanted to be triste again.

With a backdrop of orange from the setting sun, he dropped to one knee in front of her. She laughed at him, but her face quickly turned serious.

"When we married, you didn't want a ring. I want the world to know I love you and you are my future. We can face your family together and I will always protect you from my family. Please be my wife in every way and wear my ring."

He opened a box with three rings he had purchased in town, while Sofia had stayed behind by the pool. He held his breath until she held out her hand. He slipped the circular band on her finger before adding a large diamond worthy of Mrs. Whitby. She picked up the wider band and pushed it on his finger. He tasted the wine she had with dinner on her lips and tongue.

"If you want a real wedding with the gown and fuss..."

"No, no. I liked our private wedding. If only you had told me you loved me first, it would have been perfect."

He looked into the eyes he loved. "I didn't know. I wasn't ready to say those words. I fell in love with you by being your husband."

Both were reluctant to leave the island, but the real world was waiting for them. Gray was the first person they saw. Monty had minimal contact with his best friend while on what he liked to think of as their honeymoon.

"Someone looks happy. Sofia, are you good? Because I can beat him up for you."

"No! Don't hurt my husband."

"Husband. Did the love island work?"

She smiled. "He loves me."

Gray looked at Monty with a smirk. He felt a bit cocky to have Sofia want him.

"Look at her hand."

Sofia held her hand out and posed. "I'm proud of both of you."

Monty secretly loved the feel of the gold on his finger. He imagined the indentation that would deepen from repeated wear. He would be marked forever. His father never wore a wedding ring. His mother did, but she had replaced it years before with a large sapphire. Did they ever love one another? Did they ever feel as happy as he did? He felt sorry for his mother.

When they reached the condo, it was late. Gray chuckled as they disappeared into the bedroom.

In the morning, Monty dressed for work. As they were having coffee, Gray said, "I can find my own place to give you space."

Both Monty and Sofia looked at each other. He hoped she felt the same way he did.

"You belong with us. We're family."

She smiled. "Si, familia."

Monty suggested, "We can get a bigger place with your own space, but we're going to need you."

"More travels?"

"Yes, around the States, but eventually you'll be my bodyguard, chauffeur and babysitter."

Gray smiled. "I'll need Sofia to teach me how."

"She'll have to teach us both how. Right, baby?"

She stood with tears in her eyes.

Gray glared. "I'll kill you. You made her cry."

Sofia laughed. "You both did!"

Their happy moment ended when Sofia's phone rang. She looked at it and frowned.

"Hi Rosa."