Chapter Four

History class the next day is just the same as the day before. Nothing exciting. Cassandra sits pondering her dream more than listening to Tanner. She didn't sleep again after her nightmare. Everything about it bothered her. Scared her. Because she feels like it is trying to tell her something. Something important and she feels like it is on the tip of her tongue.

"The Battle of Willow Creek took place right at the end of the war in our very own Mystic Falls," Tanner tells the class. "How many casualties resulted in this battle? Ms Bennett?"

"Um...a lot? I'm not sure. Like a whole lot." Bonnie offers and shrugs. 

"Cute becomes dumb in an instant, Ms Bennett." Tanner points out. Elena and Bonnie share an annoyed look. "Mr Donovan? Would you like to take this opportunity to overcome your embedded jock stereotype?"

"It's okay, Mr Tanner, I'm cool with it." Matt answers with a smirk, the class chuckling away. 

"Hmm. Cassandra?" Tanner continues. Cassandra looks up from her notes. "Surely you can enlighten us about one of the town's most significant historical events?"

"I'm sorry, I--I don't know," Cassandra admits.

"I was willing to be lenient last year for obvious reasons, Cassandra. But the personal excuses ended with summer break." Cassandra sinks in her seat as Elena glares at Tanner, how dare he. Cassandra knows everyone expects her to be okay by now. And yeah, maybe she would be if her powers hadn't appeared to screw with her.

"There were 346 casualties," Stefan answers instead, pulling the unwanted attention from Cassandra. "Unless you're counting local civilians."

"That's correct. Mister...?" Tanner asks.

"Salvatore."

"Salvatore. Any relation to the original settlers here at Mystic Falls?"

"Distant."

"Well, very good. Except, of course, there were no civilian casualties in this battle." Tanner points out, correcting Stefan.

"Actually, there were 27, sir. Confederate soldiers, they fired on the church, believing it to be housing weapons. They were wrong. It was a night of great loss. The founder's archives are, uh, stored in civil hall if you'd like to brush up on your facts, Mr Tanner." The class is now all mildly amused by this whole thing, except for Cassandra, she knows why Stefan stepped in, it's obvious. He wants into Elena's pants, and he thinks standing up for the twin sister is going to help. Oh boy, is he wrong.

...........

Stefan closes his locker to find Cassandra on the other side, she is kind of just staring at him. Studying him. There is something about her that unnerves him, much in the same way Ally unnerved him. She was a creepy individual. He thinks that there might have been something mystical about Ally and that was the feeling he got. And with Cassandra being clearly some relation of hers, maybe she has something mystical inside of her too.

"Thanks" She offers. "But I didn't need your....rescue in there"

"That's not why I did it" He argues. She hums and cocks her head, scrunching her nose up.

"Right....you did it to impress Elena..." She adds, he looks at her surprised. "Attempting to get into my good graces....not going to help...." She glances over him. "There is something about you" She whispers. "Something I do not like. Something dark....something....dangerous" She lifts her eyes to meet his. "And I don't think that I like you" She adds.

"We haven't really talked..." He defends.

"And we won't" She argues and then walks away. Her nightmare shocked her, and the fact he was in it just made things worse for him. She didn't like him to begin with, but now...no way in hell. That's what her dream is telling her. Not to trust him.

............

Elena sits on Cassandra's bed watching as her older twin rummages around in her wardrobe trying to pick out an outfit for the party. No one thought Cassandra would be going. Least of all Elena. Cassandra has been so private the last few months. Keeping to herself. Locking herself away from the world around her. Her friends. Her family. But this is a sign that she might actually be on the mend. That she is recovering. That the old Cassandra is in there pushing to get out. 

"I told myself to do one hour" Cassandra admits as she goes through her wardrobe, pulling faces at things that she's not sure about. She used to love everything in her wardrobe, but recently all she's been wanting to wear is red or black. "Just one....and if I can do that...then...."

"Everything else will be easier?" Elena asks, Cassandra pauses and then looks at her sister who gives her an understanding smile.

"Yeah" Cassandra agrees. "I am sorry, Elena" Elena frowns. "I haven't been a very good friend or sister...recently"

"You are doing fine" Elena stops her. She knew it would be a while before she got her sister back. Before the trauma released her enough. Just as it is taking Jeremy time too. "It takes time..." Elena knows that it is more than just the crash and their parents' death that is bothering her, Elena knows that Cassandra is blaming herself for it too, because they would never have been on that road if not for her. Cassandra pulls a black dress from her wardrobe before closing it behind her. She can manage one hour with her friends, she can attempt to have fun.