Chapter Fourteen

Elena, Stefan, Caroline, Cassandra, and Bonnie are eating together at the dining table, it's awkward. Really, really, awkward. For the most part, it is Caroline that keeps the conversation going. Mostly by herself. She can really, really, really talk when she gets going. So much so that people have trouble getting a word in, except this time, it's a blessing. It means no one else has to talk. Caroline goes to take a drink, which gives Elena a break in talking to slip into the conversation.

"Did Tanner give you a hard time today?" Elena asks Stefan.

"Well, he let me on the team, so I must have done something right."

"Bonnie, you should have seen Stefan today. Tyler threw a ball right at him, and..." Elena starts, excitedly but Bonnie is not having any of it.

"Yeah, I heard"

"Why don't you tell Stefan about your family?" Elena asks her.

"Um, divorced. No mom. Live with my dad"

"No, about the witches" Elena turns to Stefan. "Bonnie's family has a lineage of witches. It's really cool"

"Cool isn't the word I'd use" Bonnie argues, considering how she feels about her Grams calling her a witch, this is response is not exactly surprising.

"Well, it's certainly interesting" Stefan counters. "I'm not too versed, but I do know that there's a history of Celtic druids that migrated here in the 1800s" Stefan informs Bonnie who wants to roll her eyes so much.

"My family came by way of Salem." She corrects.

"Really? Salem witches?" Stefan asks her.

"Yeah" Bonnie answers slowly.

"I would say that's pretty cool"

"Really? Why?"

"Salem witches are heroic examples of individualism and nonconformity" Stefan answers, Bonnie blinks a few times, absorbing what he has just said before she smiles and nods in agreement.

"Yeah, they are" She voices, Cassandra snorts and rolls her eyes. Traitor. She caved way too fast. The doorbell rings causing the five of them to look at the door. Caroline counts the heads around the table and then just frowns harder. All the girls are here. Elena stands from her seat.

"I wonder who that could be" Elena muses as she moves to the front door, opening it to reveal Damon on the other side.

"Surprise!" Damon teases.

"Oh" Elena breaths, confused and definitely surprised by his appearance at the house.

"Hope you don't mind" Damon adds as Stefan appears at Elena's side.

"What are you doing here?" Stefan asks.

"Waiting for Elena to invite me in" Damon answers with a smile aimed at Elena.

"Oh, yeah, you can..."

"No, no, no. He can't, uh...he can't stay. Can you, Damon?"

"Urm I was invited...cleared the night to be here, free as a bird" Damon points out.

"Invited by who?" Stefan asks.

"Me" Cassandra offers, Stefan shoots her a look, she just smiles back sweetly. "He's your brother, and if he's staying in town, then...why shouldn't we all be friends? Get to know one another?" She looks at Damon who smiles at her and then steps into the house. Stefan looks alarmed at his brother.

"I've already been invited in" Damon whispers to Stefan with a smirk. Damon then moves to Cassandra who raises an eyebrow at him.

"You're late" She comments, he shrugs.