Chapter Eighty-Four

A/N - CAS'S FOUNDER'S EVENT OUTFIT (PLUS JOHN'S NECKLACE GIFT):

Cassandra pulls a face as she stares at her reflection. Another formal-ish event. Another dress. Another night of fake smiles and tired feet. But this time she is going to enjoy the open bar. She is going to enjoy the crap out of it. She pulls another face and then shrugs. She supposes this is as good as it is going to get. She lets out a breath and swishes the bottom of her dress. Her eyes are drawn to her necklace that hands against her chest in the space created by the dress. She reaches up and touches it, draws her fingers over the sharper edges. She shakes her head, moving her hand to her stomach instead, she takes a deep breath. Elena knocks on the door frame and Cassandra looks at her.

"Ready to go?" Elena asks her, Cassandra hums and pulls on her wrap and then glances into the mirror again. She pulls a face but shrugs before following Elena out of her room.

.............

Damon sighs a little watching Ally. He thought she would have moved on by now, but it seems as though she is in no rush to go anywhere. She appears to enjoy hogging his bed and eating junk food and watching movies. He honestly doesn't mind, because he likes having his best friend back around, even if she is proving to be a teenager having a crisis.

"I like this part" She states and shuffles to the end of the bed, pulling her knees up.

"If you've already seen it, why are you watching it again?" Damon asks her as he pulls on a tie.

"Because I like it" She argues and leans forward, eyes focused on the television screen. It's amusing to watch someone go through it all for the first time. She's experiencing 145 years of pop culture. Movies. Music. Fashion.

"145 years of culture, and you are rewatching some cheesy kids movie from the 90s" He teases, she shrugs and smirks watching the movie. He sighs and shakes his head.

"How's my shadow self?" She asks. "You made your intentions clear yet?"

"My intentions?" He asks her with a smile, she gives him a look.

"Whatever it is you crazy kids are calling it nowadays" She counters. "We talked about this....you were going to make it clear that you...What is it you called it?" She tilts her head. "Liked her" He sighs and shrugs.

"She's...not in the right headspace" He offers and then sighs a little. "What is going on with this tie?" He complains when he can't get it right. Ally holds out her hands and he moves closer to her as she kneels on the bed.

"What is wrong with her?" Ally asks him as she takes the tie from him.

"She had to kill someone, to protect her family...." He answers. She nods in agreement, remembers now from Cassandra's memories. 

"Right. Vicki Donovan.....Noble" Ally offers, he nods.

"Well....she feels guilty" He continues. 

"Because she is a good person and killing people isn't easy for her, like it is for you or me" Ally offers, Damon hums and shrugs a little. Though that's probably exactly why Cassandra feels that way. "Human emotions" She complains as she does his tie up for him. He hums in agreement. "Pesky but....kind of miss them" He raises an eyebrow at her.

"You...shut them off?" He asks her surprised, she has shown emotion, happiness, joy, insanity. She shakes her head.

"No, but....even with our humanity switched on...we evolve" She tells him. "You can have your emotions switched on for 500 years and still change emotionally during that time." She smooths down his tie. "You think I was like this when I was human?" She asks him, he shrugs a little.

"I expect you were on the border of cray-cray" He teases, she wraps his tie around her hand and smirks before she pulls on it. "Al" He scolds as she smirks at him.

"I was a good girl" She counters and then releases him, moving back to his bed.

"What happened?" He asks as he straightens his tie again. She gives him a look.

"She did" She answers and then looks away. He doesn't need to ask. He knows exactly who she means. And it's no surprise. She plops herself down onto the bed and goes back to watching her movie. Damon tugs on the bottom of his jacket to straighten it up and then leaves her to it.

.....................

At the Founders' Day 150th Anniversary Kick-off Party, Stefan and Damon arrive together. Both of them wearing suits and looking rather dashing. Damon adjusts his tie again as his eyes flickering around the sea of faces, looking for one. For Cassandra.

"Oh god! I shouldn't be here" Stefan complains as he looks around nervously.

"Come on, don't be a downer, it's a party for the founding families! That would be us. That would be rude to skip it" Damon points out.

"I really liked you a whole lot better when you hated everybody" Stefan admits.

"Oh, I still do. I just love that they love me" Damon then laughs and looks at Stefan. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm good, I'm fine" Stefan answers, but is in no way convincing.

"No cravings? No urges? Is that whiskey you've been drinking all day doing its job?" Damon asks him. Stefan laughs. "We are who we are, Stefan. Nothing's gonna change that"

"Ah! Nothing will make you happier to just see me given up, huh, Damon?" Stefan asks him with a humourless smile.

"Whatever, it's inevitable," Damon argues.

"Well, I'm gonna find Elena," Stefan tells him and then walks away. "Don't embarrass me, young man!" Damon shouts after him and then rubs his hands together as he walks in another direction.

........

Later, Cassandra leans against the bar with Elena who is watching Stefan who is dancing with Kelly Donovan, who is remarkably upbeat considering her daughter's dead body was found not all that long ago. Cassandra glances at the bartender who is down the other end of the bar serving some other party-goers. Cassandra bites her lip and then leans over the bar to grab a bottle of vodka from the shelf. She pours a 'healthy' helping into her soda before putting it back. There is no way in hell she is getting through this event sober. Damon walks towards them and then leans next to Cassandra but he watches Stefan too.

"Have I entered an alternate universe where Stefan is fun?" He asks them. Elena looks around Cassandra at Damon.

"Is he gonna be okay?" She asks him.

"Eventually. One way or another." He answers and shrugs. Elena doesn't look like that helped her in any way. Damon looks at Cassandra who lifts her eyes to look at him too. He raises an eyebrow at her, she pulls a face and sticks out her tongue at him. He turns so he leans next to her, mirroring her. "How you doing, Buttercup?" He asks her.

"I'm fine" She answers and raises her glass to her lips, he tilts his head and takes it off of her. "Oh, jeez" She complains and rolls her eyes. He sniffs her drink and then sets it down, away from her, she glances at the glass and then sighs. She holds out her hand, pulling it back to her with her powers, not even caring that she is doing so at an event in which anyone can see her doing it. She groans and presses the heel of her hand into her forehead. That shouldn't be happening. She doesn't normally get a headache over something so simple. She sets her drink down, maybe that's what it is. Maybe she's just been drinking too much. Which sucks. Because it means she has to stop. And drinking has been the only thing she looks forward to at the minute. It takes away the guilt and the fear. Even for a couple of hours. And she knows it's unhealthy and dangerous. But what else can she do to keep it all at bay? She'd be a weepy, crying mess without that little thing.

"I thought we talked about this" He points out, she hums and shrugs. 

"Shockingly that five-second conversation did not solve all of my problems" She counters and takes a drink from her glass.