Chapter Eighty-Two

A/N - CAS' OUTFIT FOR THE DAY:

Cassandra wakes with a small jolt and is then instantly curling around her stomach with a groan. That's not a good feeling. That's a pukey feeling. She shifts in her bed which causes an empty bottle to fall from her bed and rattles on the floor. She pulls a face and cringes. That's a loud noise. She rubs her head and then buries her head in her hands with a groan. She picks up the bottle and then sets it into the trash can and then takes a deep breath before she pushes herself to her feet, moving towards her mirror.

"Oh boy" She complains at her reflection. She looks exhausted. An utter wreck. "That's not a good look" She whispers to herself. Her makeup from the day before still on and smeared. Every day she is on edge. Waiting for someone to come. To knock on the door. To tell her that they figured it out. Every knock at the door. She is on edge all the time. Constantly. She's terrified of them coming. She won't do good in jail. But right now she has to worry about school instead. She lets out a breath and reaches for her makeup bag.

.............

Cassandra pulls on her jacket as she heads towards the front door, ready to head out to school. Elena yawns into the back of her hand at the bottom of the stairs, waiting on her sister and brother.

"Come on Jeremy, going to school! Walking out the door now!" Elena shouts up the stairs. Jenna hurries out of the kitchen carrying a thermos.

"Forgot this" Jenna gives Cassandra the thermos.

"Thanks" Cassandra offers quietly as she takes it from her, turning to then open the front door only to find John Gilbert on the other side, about to knock.

"Cassandra!" He greets with a smile, she just kind of stares back at him.

"Oh great, Uncle John is here" She comments and rolls her eyes behind her sunglasses. "Said no one ever" She adds and leans against the door frame.

"Nice to see you too, Cassie" He counters with a soft smile. She groans and looks over her shoulder for Elena, wanting to actually go to school right about now.

"Uncle John! Hi," Elena greets moving to Cassandra's side.

"Elena" He greets back and peers beyond the twins to look at Jenna. "Jenna"

"John, you made it" She offers back.

"I said I'll be here before noon" He points out as he steps into the house.

"Oh what you say and what you do are typically two very different things" Jenna points out. Jeremy hurries down the stairs.

"Uncle John, what's up?" Jeremy asks seeing his uncle in the house.

"Hey!" Jeremy slaps him on the shoulder and leaves. "I had some business in town; I thought that a visit was in order" John offers.

"How long are you staying?" Elena asks him, John shrugs back.

"I don't know yet"

"Okay, well, We're gonna go to school" Elena admits and gives Cassandra a look, she wants to flee as much as her sister does. "See you later" Elena loops her arm with Cassandra's as they leave the house. Jenna watches them head to the car parked on the drive before she closes the front door behind them.

.............

Cassandra lingers at her locker, her eyes watching Elena as she talks with Matt. Cassandra hasn't been able to go anywhere near that family. She knows she shouldn't feel this guilt. She shouldn't feel like she did anything wrong. She protected her family. But she still killed someone. Someone she knew. She turns back to her locker and closes her eyes.

..................

Cassandra shrugs out of her jacket when she returns home. Thankful that the day is over. She just wants to lock herself away in her bedroom and be alone to work through it all. Especially as she can hear that John is still here. Which is great. Not. She lets out a breath and goes to climb the stairs.

"Cassie" John states as he moves towards her, she sighs and closes her eyes before turning to face him. "I have something for you" He pulls a small box from his pocket, touches the top of it. "It belonged to your grandmother, she actually marked it for you in her will when she died, but no one could find it" He moves closer to her and holds out the box. "It was in a box of stuff at the lake house" She takes the box from him and opens it to reveal a beautiful gold chain necklace with a rough yellow and orange stone hanging from the bottom.

"It's beautiful" She offers as she takes the necklace from the box and curls the chain around her fingers so she can look at the stone.

"Just sorry it's taken so long for you to get" She hums a little and stares at the stone. Something about it. She's not sure it's calling to her, that sound stupid, but it gives her a weird vibe.

"Thanks" She whispers and he nods before he walks away. Cassandra sets the necklace back into the box and heads up the stairs. It's weird coming from John, he's not really been one to drop gifts on them but it's a free necklace so she's not really complaining all that much,

............

It's all noise to Cassandra because she has no patience left for Elena right now. Especially as she can't stop talking about...Stefan. That's all Elena is talking about. Worrying about. Cassandra literally can't hear about it any more. Cassandra is about ready to strangle her own sister to shut her up. Here Cassandra is, worried about going to prison because she killed someone, and Elena is worried about her boyfriend. Cassandra thinks she has her beat. But she listens. Because Elena is her sister, and this is what sister's do.

...............

Cassandra bounces down the stairs to answer the door as someone knocks on it. She blows her hair out of her eyes as she pulls open the door to reveal Damon on the other side.

"Oh good, you're here" She offers. He cocks his head.

"You ask I come. I'm easy like that" Damon tells her, she then motions upstairs. Damon sees Jeremy eating in the kitchen. "No, Cas, I will not go to your bedroom with you!" He states louder. She smacks his arm and gives him a dirty look. He laughs and goes upstairs with her. Jeremy looks at them but shrugs.