Chapter 15 (Year 3)

River's POV-

The next day was the first day of classes for the students. We walked to Hagrid's hut, with Draco complaining about Hagrid our entire way to care of magical creatures.

"C'mon now, get a move on! Got a real treat for yeh. Great lesson comin' up. Follow me." Hagrid said as the six of us trailed behind the rest of the class.

"I swear if I step on something, I'm going to make Hagrid pay for it," Pansy hissed, looking down at her shoes, which were slowly getting covered in more dirt.

"Gather 'round. Find yourself a spot. That's it. Now, firs' thing yeh'll want ter do is open yer books- "Hagrid explained.

"And exactly how do we do that?" Draco yelled, taking out his textbook that was tied with a rope.

"Just stroke the spine," he said calmly. I ran my finger over the spine slowly, seeing the book slowly flutter open.

"Righ' then. So... so... yeh've got yer books, an' now yeh need the Magical Creatures. Right. So... I'll... I'll go an' get 'em," Hagrid said, walking away and disappearing behind his hut.

"God, this place is going to the dogs. Wait until my father hears Dumbledore's got this oaf teaching classes." Draco yelled, throwing his bag on the ground.

"Shut up, Malfoy!" Potter yelled, turning around and walking closer to our group. Draco laughs, walking towards Potter. Draco looked up, his face falling into a horrified expression, pointing a shaking finger toward the sky.

"D-dementor!" He yelled. Potter jumped, turning around and seeing nothing in the sky. The six of us laughed as Potter turned around, his face bright red from embarrassment, as we pulled our hoods up.

"Ooh," The six of us said, wiggling our fingers at Potter. Potter glanced at me, shaking his head in disappointment.

"Beautiful, isn' he?" Hagrid says, bring out an animal.

"Hagrid? What exactly is that?" Weasley asks.

"A Hippogriff," Hagrid said, stroking the animal.

"Now, firs' thing yeh gotta know is they're proud. Easily offended, Hippogriffs are. Don't never insult one, 'cause it migh' be the las' thing yeh do. Right then — who wants ter come an' say hello?" Hagrid said. The entire class stepped back, except Potter.

"Good man, Harry," Hagrid says, smiling brightly at him.

"Tha's it. Easy now... stop! This here's Buckbeak, Harry. Yeh wants to let 'im make the firs' move. It's polite, see? Jus' take a step forward, give 'im a bow, and if Buckbeak bows back, yeh're allowed ter touch him. Ready?"

Potter bowed to Buckbeak, and after a second, Buckbeak bowed back to him. Potter walked closer to Buckbeak and reached out a shaking hand to pet him.

"Look at that! I reckon he migh' let yeh ride 'im!" Hagrid said.

"What?" Potter said, his smile disappearing.

"We'll jus' set yeh behind the wing joint. Mind yeh don' pull any feathers out. He won' like that." Hagrid grabbed Potter by his waist, lifting him up and placing him on Hagrid. Potter protested as Hagrid smacked Buckbeak on the side. The animal started running and soared into the sky.

After a couple of minutes, Potter came back, sliding down off of the Hippogriff, whispering something to Hagrid, who smiled.

"Ah! You're not dangerous at all, are you, you great ugly brute," Draco yelled, pushing everyone out the way and storming towards the Hippogriff.

"Malfoy, no!" Hagrid yells, and everyone starts screaming as the Hippogriff stood on his forelegs, scratching Draco on the arm. He fell to the ground, screaming.