Chapter 43 (Year 5)

River's POV

Soon winter had arrived, Hogwarts was as cold as ever. And we were still forced to take Care of Magical creatures outside. We stood frozen in the snow, waiting for Hagrid's lesson to begin. 

"Gather roun', gather roun', Now, they'll be attracted by the smell o' the meat but I'm goin' ter give 'em a call anyway, 'cause they'll like ter know it's me. " he said, gesturing to the meat on the ground. For a while nothing happened, then footsteps slowly started appearing in the snow.

"What's going on?" Draco asked, I shrugged.

"I don't know," 

"You guys can't see them," Theo said. His usual happy self-had a sad expression on his face. Bits of flesh started getting ripped off of the meat. I cringed in disgust.

"What doing that?" Petal asked.

"Thestrals, Hogwarts has got a whole herd of 'em in here. Now, who knows-"

"But there really unlucky!" 

"They're supposed to bring all sorts of horrible misfortune on people who see them. Professor Trelawney told me once-"

"No, no, no, tha's jus' superstition, that is, they aren' unlucky, they're dead clever an' useful! 'Course, this lot don' get a lot o' work, it's mainly jus' pullin' the school carriages unless Dumbledore's takin' a long journey an' don' want ter Apparate — an' here's another couple, look," 

"How am I supposed to look, I can't see them?" Pansy yelled.

"I think I felt something, I think it's near me!" Pravati yelled.

"Don' worry, it won' hurt yeh," said Hagrid patiently.

 "Righ', now, who can tell me why some o' you can see them an' some can't?"

"The only people who can see thestrals, are people who have seen death." Granger said,

"Tha's exactly right ten points ter Gryffindor. Now, thestrals-"

"Hem hem," Umbridge said, walking over to us.

"Oh, hello!" Hagrid said,

"You received the note I sent to your cabin this morning? Telling you that I would be inspecting your lesson?" She said in a slow voice,

"Oh yeah, Glad yeh found the place all righ'! Well, as you can see — or, I dunno — can you? We're doin' thestrals today-"

"I'm sorry? What did you say?" She said, I rolled my eyes and scoffed.

"He's not an idiot," I whispered,

""Er — thestrals! Big — er — winged horses, yeh know!" He said, trying to gesture with his arms.

"Has... to... resort ... to ... crude ... sign ... language." 

---

Pansy and Daphne both were staring at me as we studied in the library. I signed looking up from my book.

"What?" I asked, confused, and concerned.

"You put makeup on your neck," Daphne said.

"And?"

"You never wear that much make," Pansy said, I pulled my book closer to my face.

"I don't know what you mean," I said, Daphne pushed the book away from my face.

"You have a hickey," she said,

"N-no, I don't," I said,

"Yes, you do," Daphne said,