8: leaving lonesome flats... or not at all

Y/N POV:
We can finally see the lonesome flats after a looong exhausting walk. I pant as the sun is radiating over us.
-This must be where the country music trolls live, Poppy says as she looks from the map to the town in front of us. I see no one outside and look confused at the town.
-There's no one here? I ask my friends.
-Well, since it's empty I guess it's time to go back home! Branch says hastily. I look unimpressed at him and start heading for the town. Poppy joins beside me and puts away the map. I turn to look back and Biggie is following us while Branch stands still, looking like a grumpy 5 year old.
-C'mon guys let's go home instead! Branch tries to usher us back.
-There's no "I quit" in team! Poppy yells back. I can see Biggie visibly flinch as we can all feel Branch's eyes staring at us. I snicker before turning back around.

We quickly go to hide behind some barrels and look from there. We can see the middle of the town right in front of us, along with a clock tower. We start hearing faint guitar play as the clock strikes 12. We all look at it, before I see a troll with four legs and a big red hairdo exit a building holding a banjo in her hands. I poke at Branch and point discreetly to her and he looks surprised. He then notifies Poppy and Branch.
But then... she start singing....

-"We don't hope for making things better
All we want is to keep it together".
The lady troll walks past a small family. I look at them as their egg hatches.
-Aww... I whisper.

-"Every day is a rainy day, no changing the weather". The father lifts the small troll down from the mother's hair.
-Happy birthday son. It's time to get to work, the dad says, handing the little troll a bucket.

-"This kind of life has made our hearts as hard as leather".
-Alright daddy, the little boy says and starts working with his siblings.
-Awe no... I say.

-"And all these tears are from the dust in our eyes
And all these years just keep on passing us by
We all know that we're just born to die
That's the way it goes when you're just born to die", the lady troll walks past a building where cows walk in and... a man walks out with a plate of burgers.
-This song is so sad, Poppy says.
-Yeah it's sad, Branch agrees.
-But... life can be sad sometimes so... I kinda, like it? I say confused by my own words.
-Really? Poppy asks and I shrug and nod.
-Hmmm. But it's so different, Poppy says and makes a face.
-Oooohhhhh maybe they don't know that music is supposed to make you happy! Poppy comments as we walk out from the barrel. I look offended at her. Then I look at Branch, who looks shocked back at me.
-Oh, that's awful, she then says and puts her hands on her chest. Branch shrugs confused.
-Poppy, what? I ask, but she doesn't get to reply before the lady troll starts singing again.

-"And all these years just keep on passing us by
And all this misery makes it hard to deny,
That's the way it goes when you're just born to die" she finishes as she puts an older man in his casket.

Funnily enough... this songs spoke to me. That's how I felt sometimes, day in and day out. What's the point of life, being always happy if you just die in the end anyways? I wanted to try more stuff! I can't just stay in my little pop bubble forever.
-Alright guys, huddle up, Poppy says... but I sneak away before they reach the town square. I walk into a shop and take a hat and a belt to blend in. I also take a pair of.... jeans. I tuck my top into the jeans and fasten the belt. Well that's a first time... I've always wanted to try a new look.

As I walk out I hear the lady troll speak again.
-I feel bad for them! They look like they got beat up by a rainbow, she says. I tip my hat a bit and walk away from her. I lean on a house wall in a small alleyway and look out to the square. I have my hat tipped forward so that I can see the others, but they can't see me.