15: backstage

Y/N POV:
With guitar and costume in my arms, I follow Barb and some other trolls up to a backstage door over the stage in volcano rock city.
-So Popcorn, is being my best friend everything you ever dreamed of? Barb says sarcastically.
I put my stuff down onto a cushioned sofa as they throw Poppy into a new cell. I look up as she hits the bars.
-I am not your best friend, Poppy says angrily.
-You don't have to be embarrassed, I get it. Being queen can be kinda lonely, Barb says and walks over to a window. The crowd outside was already blaring. And I was scared. I was truly and honestly scared for what was about to go down. I look towards Barb. Poppy couldn't exactly see her but I did. I saw all of her. He had clasped her hands behind her back and her shoulders slumped. She never slumped her shoulders, except for when she was upset.
-There's... all this pressure to be a great queen, Barb says and crosses her arms in front of her. I saw her hang her head slightly and Poppy trying to look at her.
-And instead of real friends you're just surrounded by people who just... Tell you what you wanna hear, Barb says. I blink my eyes because they try to let my feelings get to me. I was not going to cry. I had made up my mind about this.

Barb looks over at Poppy.
-You know, other than your terrible taste in music, your clothing, your general life style and your awesome twin sister, Barb starts and shakes all of the previous feelings off. She walks over to Poppy's cage and leans on the side.
-You and me are the same popsqueak, Barb says. I take my costume and walk behind a screen to change.
-Uh, no we're not, Poppy says offended. I carefully put the costume on.
-We're both queens who just wanna unite the world, Barb says. I look myself in the mirror. This was it. Todays the day.
-You don't wanna unite the world, you wanna destroy it! Poppy exclaims.
-Uh Uh, no way, Barb says as a couple of rock trolls open the case with the guitar in it.
-I don't know who told you that, I chip and and Barb looks at me. She smiles and then it turns into a grin.
-Music... It has done nothing but divide us, I look back at Barb and she nods. She then takes out the pop string from her bracelet and I purse my lips.
-Now that I have the final string, I can make us all a nation of trolls under rock! Barb says gleefully and cherishes the string. She then looks at the guitar and carefully places the string in the last place. It snaps into place and turns red, just like the other strings had done.
Barb takes the guitar out of its case and places a careful hand on it, grinning like a mad man. Which in this case she sort of was. The others take away the case and Barb throws the guitar up in the air and it lands perfectly in front of her. She lets out a victory laugh. I watch as Poppy stares astonished and scared at the weapon of mass destruction. I then grab my guitar as it floats right in front of me. Poppy then looks sadly at me. I can only stare back with a blank face.

-What're you gonna do? Poppy asks cautiously.
Barb looks up at Poppy through hooded eyes and and gulp. She huffs mockingly at her.
-play the ultimate power chord, and then...she snickers.
-You'll see! She says, before looking at me.
-You ready to rock? She asks. I grin madly. A heavy weight is put onto my shoulders.
-Ready as I'll ever be, I nod and run to stand beside her.
-Y/N no! Poppy says sadly as Barb and I adjust our guitars and Barb receives a microphone. I look back at her.
-Sorry Poppy. But if you can't beat 'em' join em', I say. Barb smiles evilly at Poppy as we start getting lowered down onto the stage.
-See you out there! Barb yells at her.

And now there's no return. I'm the one to rip the first chord of the song. The crowds get even louder, if that was even possible. I feel sweat trickling down my back. They clap loudly to the beat. Barb does a quick change in the smoke that was covering us and I stare at her. She smiles at me. I smile back. I don't think I'm ever going to see her this happy again...
Barb jumps onto the stage and the crowd starts screaming at her. She runs around victoriously. I play more chords on the guitar, just like Barb asked me to do.

-So this ain't the end, I saw you again, Barb sings and her dad comes onto the stage, playing his synth.
-Today, I had to turn my heart away, Barb turns around and headbangs at me. I jump onto the stage and play a little riff on the guitar.
-Smile like the sun, she stares at me. I can't help it but my heart starts fluttering.
-Kisses for everyone, she sings and walks behind me.
-And tales, it never fails, she sings as she circles me. These lyrics were new. I blush heavily but cover it up by reaching my tongue out in between my teeth.
-You're lying so low in the the weeds, she walks further out onto the stage, and I follow slowly. But as I do I see something familiar in the corner of my eye.
-I bet you're gonna ambush me, Barb entices the crowd. I look to hat I thought I saw and my heart stops. It was Biggie and the others! Chenille and Satin, Legsly, guy diamond and tiny diamond, heck even Snitch was here! And they were dressed in the most ridiculous costumes. I glare at them and they look back in a panic.
-You had me down, down, down, down on my knees, I look to Barb again, trying to cover up my panicked state. She turns her head grinning, looking at me.
-Now won't ya- she cuts off as she sees the weird looking trolls in the back. I stop playing and so does Riff and Barbs dad. The spotlights turn to the ridiculously dressed pop trolls and I panic.