42: in sickness and in health

Y/N POV:

I wake up and it's been about 3 days since I came home from the job. I stretch but feel my whole body ache. My nose is absolutely stuffed to the brim and my throat aches as I yawn. I groan as I realize that the inevitable has happened. I'm sick. I turn my head and notice that even as I'm sick, I still manage to wake up before Barb. I poke her and she stirs and groans.
-Hmmm? She rolls to face me.
-Barb, I say with a stuffed nose.
-Mmmyeah babe? She asks, still practically sleeping.
-I think I'm sick, I say. Barb immediately shoots up.
-What!? And as she screams she starts to scramble and she falls off of the ledge of the bed. I gasp.
-Are you ok? I say with a raspy voice and cough to get the icky feeling out of my throat.
-Yeah I'm fine, I'm ok, but Uh... yeah, right, how're you? She asks.
-I'm ok, I answer and shrug.
-Except for my aching throat and stuffy nose, that is, I say.
-But Uh, ok... ok. To be completely honest I don't know what to do in this situation, she says as she sits up onto the bed again.
-No worries. I have some pain killers in the bathroom cabinet and we have enough ingredients to make the best soup for colds, I say.
-A-alright I'll go fix it right away! Barb says and as she moves off of the bed she falls again.
-What the hell!? She screams as she stands up again and heads to the bathroom.

Barb POV:
I am honestly freaking out more than I should. I mean I can barely take care of myself, how am I supposed to take care of another troll being? She told me there's pain killers in the cabinet so I open the cabinet buy eyes widen as there is not only 5 different cartons of pills but also a handful of creams, 7 sticks of something and some toothbrushes. I stare at it all for a while before I start by grabbing one thing of pills and reading it. The name didn't help at all. I grab the other one but it is the same. I try grabbing the rest to read and see if I could make any sense of it at all but instead I drop them all.
-Shit, I say.
-What're you doing in there? Y/N asks from outside the bathroom.
-Oh, eh nothing, just Uh- rearranging the cabinet, it was kind of messy, I lie and then I stop myself.
-What? I ask myself.
-Ok, if you say so. Just remember, the pain killers are in the orange box! She shouts.
-Right, the orange box,I say and start to look through the boxes and things I have with pills and find the orange box. I place the rest back into the cabinet before I walk out and hand her the box proudly.
-Eh, Barb? She says.
-Yes? I ask.
-I need water, she then says and I face palm before I head to the kitchen and grab her a big glass of water, just like dad used to do when I was little. I come back with the glass and she gulps down the meds before shivering.
-Do you think you can get me some breakfast? I'm not so sure I should be up and walking today, she says and snuggles further into the comforter.
-Yeah, absolutely, hold on, I say and turn on the tv and hand her the remote.
-Watching bad reality shows always made me feel a little better, I joke and she smiles hazily.
-I'll fix breakfast my love, I say before heading into the kitchen.
-Love you! I hear from behind me before she sneezes loudly. Oh dear.
I start scrambling together some eggs and putting some bread in the toaster. I hang on the counter and sigh, thinking of all the things I have to stack up on at home and when I'd have the time to run to the pharmacy- what smells burned? I turn around and the eggs are smoking slightly and I hurry to flip the eggs. Luckily for me they weren't burned but they weren't many moments from that point. I sigh again and lower the temperature on the stove.

I get the half-disaster breakfast to Y/N who gladly eats it.
-Don't worry Barb, the eggs aren't as bad as you think, they're pretty good, she says.
-No I'm just... I'm just stressed, I say.
-What? Why? She rasps out and then coughs.
-Because my dad always took care of me, I have never been sick for myself or having to take care of someone else, I explain.
-Well just do what your dad did? She asks.
-Oh...? OH! Oh ok! I get it! Yeah! I'll run to the store and get... get stuff, I don't know, I'll know when I find it! I say. Y/N laugh and coughs in between.
-And take your dad with you, he might need to come out and get some fresh air and not just out the window, she says as she recovers.
-Absolutely! Yes! I'm I'll be right back, don't go anywhere! I say before I run to get my dad down the hall and then I steer him out and towards the store.

As we walk through the aisles I try to remind myself of the labels on the comforting foods and drinks dad always used to buy me when I was sick, but it was hard.
-Augh! Why did they have to change the labels on everything! Right dad? I ask.
-Yeah! He just exclaims and we high five.
-But Uh... where-uh, whereeeee uhhhh, dad catches the attention of a store worker.
-The "uh"? she asks.
-I think he means the grape juice? I ask and dad nods.
-And the salsa? I ask.
-Both are two aisles over! She smiles and continues on.
-Thank you! Dad says as I push him through the store.

-Hey Barb, hey Barb! I hear Riff shout after me on the way home.
-Hey Riff, how are you? I ask.
-I'm ok, though I am getting onto a cold. It seems like everyone gets it right now, how're you and Y/N? Riff asks.
-Well Y/N woke up with... that cold. So I'm taking care of her, I say with slight pride.
-Oh word? He asks and I nod.
-Dang that's great! Just take care, this cold isn't fun, my girlfriend's got it so I'm just running to get her some sleeping pills and nose spray so that she can sleep through her stuffed nose. Anyways, wash your hands and all that, see ya later Barb, Riff says hurriedly and leaves.
-Yeah you too Riff! I wave before heading home and struggling to prepare everything.

I sigh as I hesitate. I try to whip up a soup dad was great at making but it just wasn't coming to.
I walk off to get his help but he's dead asleep. I sigh and call Poppy because I want Y/N to rest.
- Yeah? Poppy answers.
-Poppy, I need your help, I say.
-Yeah what's up Barb? Poppy asks.
-Well, Y/N's sick and I'm trying to make a soup for her but... I've never made soup before... and I'm just making it worse, I say.
-Well no problem! I know how to fix just about any failed soup! Poppy says!
-That's great... I would get Y/N to do this but... you know. I want her to rest and get better, I say.
-Barb don't beat yourself up! Y/N would be fine with any soup you gave her as long as it was eatable because she doesn't need everything to be perfect, Poppy says.
-Yeah that's true... I say.
-So what exactly is wrong with the soup...? Poppy asks.

3 long hours later I finally got something to feed
Y/N.
-Alright, I got you some tea, toasts, some of my favorite sick candies so that you- I stop myself as I walk into the room because I find her napping. The small snoring shows that she's been sleeping for a while. I smile a little before I put the things away and sit beside her on the bed and kiss her on the forehead. She stirs before she opens her eyes.
-What? She asks sleepily.
-You we're napping. You look adorable by the way, I say before I kiss her again.
-noooo stop you'll just get sick like me, she whines and tries to sit up.
-Ah, I don't care! I got you some food and things so you don't go hungry, I say and give her the plate.
-What time is it? She asks.
-Well uh... about 2 I say.
-It took you three hours to- just shut up and eat your candy, I interrupt her by putting a candy in her mouth and she laughs.