Part 36: hopeless romantics

Y/N POV:
I dress up real nice. Today's the day after all. I walk out of mine and Barbs shared room to start breakfast. I had just learned how to make heart shaped eggs so I decided to do that. As they start sizzle in the pan I see Poppy and Branch enter the room together, holding hands.
-No more fighting huh? I joke.
-No, thank you so much for fixing a night out for us last night, Poppy thanks.
-How did you know? I ask.
-Well we figured it out during dinner, Branch says and I smile.
-Well, happy Valentine's Day guys, I say and put the two finished eggs on their plates as they go ahead and make the rest of their breakfast. As the rest of the eggs start to look golden and ready, Barb enters the kitchen.
-Happy Valentine's Day babe, I greet and she just leans in and gives me a sweet kiss.
-Happy valentines, she says and hugs me from behind. Her eyes are closed as she softly sways back and forth. She lets out a content sigh as she squeezes me slightly. I put an egg on her plate and hold it up to her. She opens her eyes back up and smile.
-That's cute, Barb says and takes the plate happily. I plate my own egg and we fix the rest of our breakfast as we sit down in the corner of the couch in the living room. I sit in between Barbs legs with breakfast in my lap and she places her own plate on the coffee table.

-So are you guys gonna spend some time together? Play some games? Poppy asks us.
-Nah, we've done that pretty much all week. We thought that maybe we'd- oh but you have to! That and buying each other chocolates are the biggest valentines tradition of all time! Poppy says.
-Chocolates huh? Here it's actually more romantic to have prepared a love ballad to perform outside your loved ones windows, Barb says.
-Hey why didn't you wake me up with a ballad? I turn to her. She just smiles secretly and winks. I catch onto the drift and smile back at her.
-Oh come on Y/N, don't tell me you won't honor pop traditions! Poppy says.
-Well who doesn't like chocolate? I say and smile sheepishly at Barb.
-Anyways, me and Branch have set up a full day playing games, Poppy says.
-I even made a schedule and a budget for every game based on this week, Branch says proudly.
-Well Barb, what do you say we join them for some games? I ask a little awkward.
-Well I guess so? Barb asks.
-Alright! Then let's get ready guys and then we'll get ahead with our day! Poppy celebrates and I turn to Barb.
-Sorry 'bout that, you know how she gets, I say apologetically and brush her hair and fix the strays with my fingers. Barb just smiles considerately.
-Don't worry babe, I know, Barb says and takes my hand and puts it on her mouth.
-We'll just postpone our own plans, she waves off.
-Alright... then let's get ready so we actually can get to those plans, I say and we head to get our jackets.

We step out on the streets of volcano rock city and we immediately head to the game where Branch texted us.
-There they are! I say and pull Barb along.
-Hey guys, how's the playing going? I ask.
-Eh, Poppy says.
-I just got a rough patch, it's the first game I'll get better, Branch says grumpily and circles his neck and his shoulders around. He grabs a ball and he's supposed to get them through holes in a wall but he misses them all.
-You haven't won your girlfriend anything yet? Barb scoffs.
-Like I said, I'm not warmed up yet, Branch excuses.
-Alright then... let me try, Barb slams money on the table and receives the same amount of small balls that Branch got.
-Which prize do you want babe? Barb ask and also rolls her shoulders as she grabs a ball and looks at me.
-I'd like that bird, I point at the second place prize.
-Alrighty, Barb says and aims.
-Better settle for one of them keyrings, Branch scoffs with a grin. Barb hits almost every single one, except for two that she purposefully misses... or at least I think. Either way it's the only acquired amount to revive a second place prize. So Barb asks for the bird I had pointed at and she immediately gives it to me once she receives it. Branch and Poppy look surprised at me and Barb. I just laugh and kiss Barbs cheek.
-How's that for a warmup? Barb smirks at Branch who crosses his arms.

Barb beat branch in pretty much every game by far.
-Wow barb, how did you get that good aim? Poppy asks as she gets another small and cute stuffed animal and I get another pretty big one.
-Well for the world tour I had to practice my aim so that I wouldn't miss. I spent like a year or even longer, I don't even remember at this point, at getting perfect aim, Barb says casually.
-Yeah right, I hear Branch mumble and we continue to walk, having done pretty much every game in town.
-Yeah well, thanks guys, Barb starts as I marvel over all the plushies I have received.
-We've had fun, she continues.
-Oh but you can't leave now! There's still gift exchange and candy feeding left! Poppy insists.
-Yeah I guess we can fit that in? What do you think Barb? I ask.
-I suppose we can stay for the gift exchange, Barb shrugs. Then she leans in to Poppy and whispers the gift she got me and Poppy gasps with a terrified face. Poppy then whispers to Branch and Barb looks concerned at me. I shrug confused.
-Ok no, we will help you guys get each other the perfect valentines gift. Barb come with me, Poppy says and starts dragging Barb off.
-But- hey I already have a gift? Barb protests.
-It's not acceptable for Valentine's Day, let's go, Poppy keeps on walking.
-Alright and you're with me, Branch says and he pulls me along.
-But I also already have a gift for her, I say.
-Mhmm and what's that? He asks, not impressed.
-I got her a matching guitar strap and guitar pick with the date we started dating, I say.
-Well, that's not very valentines day gift-y, Branch shrugs and we stop at a valentines shop.
-Alright, Branch rubs his hands together.
-What do you think she would like? He asks. I cross my arms agitated.
-I think she would like a new guitar strap, I say annoyed.
-Now c'mon, get into the valentines feeling; flowers and teddy bears and stuff, Branch says. I sigh.
-Well, let me get her a nice perfume and a flower then, I say.
-There we go! Branch says and we start searching for perfumes. I finally find one that's musky but very refreshing and nice and a normal red rose.

When we meet Barb and Poppy again, they push me and Barb forward and we awkwardly exchange gifts. I got a bouquet and a heart shaped box of candies and she got hers. We smile at each other to try and look like we're enjoying the situation, while we're really not.
-Oh guys look, the candy feeding is about to start let's go! Branch says and takes Poppy's hand. They walks off as we stay behind.
-I don't know about you but I am not sitting in a park feeding you candies, Barb whispers.
-Me neither, I used to always excuse myself to the toilet before... let's just leave, I say and we stealthily sneak away in the crowds. We run through the castle halls, and I almost drop the 12 or so stuffed animals I am holding. We put away all of our stuff and do what we actually wanted to do. We dress nicely and set up a picnic blanket in the living room. Barb roll out her dad and I order food for all of us and set it up on the blanket. We put on the television and eat together.

-We look kind of ridiculous, I giggle as I pick up food with my fork.
-Yeah but, we're having fun, Barb says.
-Besides, Valentines is about everyone you love, she says and smiles at me.
-Happy valentines babe, I say and we lean over the blanket to meet in a short peck. I do pick up a familiar scent though.
-Are you wearing the perfume I got you? I ask.
-Yeah, it was nice and fresh. Besides I wanted to dress and impress, she says proudly and I laugh. Suddenly we hear king thrash snore loudly. We look to him before we look back at each other and we giggle quietly.
-And I actually have a gift for you, Barb says and we put away our food. She gives me a box that is quite small. I open it and inside is a gorgeous bracelet with small charms on it.
-Oh bubba, thank you! I say and immediately put it on and shake my wrist to hear it clink. Then I look back in the box and there's a small note inside.
-What's this? I ask and pick it up.
-Read it, Barb nods. I look down and read it quietly.
"To my precious queen <3"
I look up at Barb confused.
-Flip it, she then smiles and I do so.
"I know you always love to dress to impress. Although you already impress me in your sweatpants and hoodie, I want you to be able to show off. I've made an instroll account with cute photos of you that has millions of followers and a bunch of collaboration requests. I hope you show off way more now ;)
Love, your queen: Barb"
I slap a hand onto my face.
-You got me millions of followers? I ask.
-Well you always do catwalks around my room every time you feel cute and I just wanted to let more people know you are cute, she says.
-Thank you, I says and hug her.
-Oh right! I got you something too! I say and hastily pull away. I run to my room to pull the box out and run back to the living room.
I give the box to Barb before I sit down. She already started open it and I see her face turn from extremely excited to shocked. She pulls out the guitar strap and reads it slowly.
-What the... she says and the pulls out the pick. She looks at the engraving of a heart and our initials and then her eyes fill with tears. She puts a hand under her nose as she starts sniffling and a tear falls from her eyes.
-Oh baby, I say and lean over to hug her. She puts the pick and strap away and hugs me back.
-Not in a million years did I think anyone would give me such a sappy and romantic gift, she laughs.
-Do you like it though? I ask and look down at her.
-Are you kidding me? I love it! I'm gonna change it immediately, she says and we let go.

She runs off to get her guitar and she sits down and plays bee a nice song. She sings the tune softly and I smile so big I almost start crying. I hold my hand to my heart and close my eyes as I listen to her raspy voice give the song a small oomph. She then ends the song and I look into her eyes, that has started to gloss over.

-I love you, she breathes out as she once again admires the pick. I smile as she pauses and looks worriedly at me.

-I love you too Barb, I whisper back to assure her. She then smiles back at me and I reach out to grab her hand. We then lay down and watch the tv program as we just enjoy each other's company.